four • pastel

Calum's POV

"Morning, Cal-Pal," Mali Koa ruffled my hair as she saw me jog down the stairs and into the kitchen this morning. I grabbed an apple and gave her a little nod, already used to her older sister, protective, over-loving attitude as always. With her, she either loved me or hated me (not that Mali really has any hating bone in her body, but), and today, fortunately, she loved me.
"I gotta go to school," I told her, my feet walking towards the door before she grabbed gentle hold of my jacket sleeve. I gave her a look, raising an eyebrow to see what she needed.
"You okay?"
"I'm fine, Mali," I mumbled. She always knew when something was up with me.
With a sigh, she crossed her arms and let go of my sleeve, "You were up till 3 last night. I could hear you going down the stairs."
When I gave her no response, she spoke again, "Dreaming about Zach again?"
"Nightmares."
"Calum..."
"Mali..."
"I'm worri-"
"I'm fine, Mali. Drop it."
She really didn't understand. I was dreaming about Luke. For the first time in 3 years, I was dreaming about a boy. She didn't understand why that was a nightmare to me. I shouldn't develop any feelings for him.
Mali nodded, trying to accept that I wasn't up for talking more, but not before saying, "All you wear is black now. I miss your sweaters and chokers, your pastel colors, by the way."
I did too.
I opened the door and... saw the bus just... leave. I was too late. If I waited for another bus, I'd be late to school. Just because I'm not the nicest guy to everyone doesn't mean I'm gonna let myself fail high school. I wanna graduate and leave as soon as I can.
I don't know why my fingers leaded me to Luke's contact, but they did. I texted him:

calum: give me a ride?
luke: why
calum: c'mon i don't wanna be late /:
luke: wow, the infamous calum thomas hood asking me for help??? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
calum: ew that face is so gross ugh
calum: just please pick me up
luke: hmm..... actually i can't
calum: luke i swear to GOD
calum: christ, you got another twink to drive to school or something???
luke: lmao u called urself a twink
luke: because u ARE
I left the bitch on read.
luke: be there in 5 mins

The car ride with Luke was nothing but awkward. I stood in the cold, my breath frozen in the air as he honked his car horn and unlocked the passenger's door for me to get in. When I sat down, he started driving again and inched his hand towards mine, his fingers almost wrapping over mine before I said, "Hold my hand and I'll cut your fucking tongue out."
Luke shrugged nonchalantly, a smug smirk on his lips. Why the hell did he look proud?
He initiated the conversation by saying, "So how was your morning, twink?"
"Shut it," I crossed my arms in front of my chest and pouted, letting out a huff.
He chuckled and made a right turn as he smiled, "Someone's a moody boy today. The angst."
I looked out the window as I gave him the middle finger, rolling my eyes as a small smile slowly made its way to my lips.
"Ah, he smiles!"
I tried to clench my jaw to prevent myself from smiling as I scoffed.
Luke raised his hand to lower the volume of Green Day on the radio just a bit. He looked at me for a second before averting his eyes back to the road.
"You know what I never noticed?" he asked.
I raised an eyebrow, "Jesus, what?"
"We never kiss."
"What? Yes we do, I kiss your di-"
"No, no, not that way. I meant, like... kiss. Like, on the lips, you know?"
I don't know why I kind of wanted to at that moment. But I didn't.
We arrived at school a few minutes later. I told him to park in the back so no one would see us together and I was about to go out of the car... which is when he leaned forward... and kissed me. Just once. Just.. gently. Just before slipping out of the car and taking my hand, his fingers lacing with mine just for a moment before our hands broke apart again.
"See you in class," he said to me, walking through the school doors, leaving my face all red and blushy and flustered.
Luke sat with his usual group of friends at lunch, as always. And I sat with my usual group of friends at lunch, as always. I couldn't stop thinking about how he kissed me just a couple hours ago. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I felt something when he kissed me. I don't know what is was, or if I liked it or not.
He was sitting with Jamie this time, that ginger kid. Luke seemed so bright and happy talking to him, but I never really liked him. Christ, I couldn't take this anymore. I got up from my seat and started walking towards the bathroom, nudging Luke's shoulder roughly against mine as I walked past him, giving him a signal to follow me into the bathroom. He followed.
When we both got in the bathroom, I turned around to face him. I gave him a look, my eyes and shoulders turning soft and calming down before I leaned up to reach his tall height and press my lips softly to his.
He kissed me back before taking my shoulders gently and leading us to one of the bathroom stalls, connecting his lips with mine again. That's all we did. We just kissed. Neither of us pulled away.
"Come over later. My mom and sister will be gone."

Luke walked into my house, hands shoved in his pockets as that same sick smirk sat on his lips.
"So, what was lunch about?"
I tried to be the cold personality I was and gave him a dirty look, "What do you fuckin mean?"
He shrugged, taking a step closer towards me and hooking his finger on the loop of my jeans. "Y'know... how you kissed me."
I kept my hands to myself, my head tilting to the side slightly. "Can I not kiss you now? Thought we were already past that when we started fucking."
Now, he gave me a look. With a slight grin on my lips, I pulled him to me. "C'mere, asshole."
Luke wrapped his arms around my waist, his lips pressing to the side of my neck. He moved his lips slowly against on the one spot of my neck he knew would get me, deep and slow.
We rushed to my room, hand in hand, before closing my door behind us. Luke's arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me to his side as his eyes took a look around my room. It was messy as per usual, but he stopped to look closely when he saw a picture of me from five years ago. It was me, wearing a pastel blue oversized sweater and faded denim blue jeans. I had a bright, genuine smile on my mouth that made it to my eyes.
"You look happy in this one," Luke said
I shrugged and looked down as he spoke again.
"You should smile more often. And wear light colors, they suit you," he said before turning to me and laying me down on the bed.

authors note //
if you get the shameless and welcome to nightvale reference in this i love u