five • romance

hey so from now on, if i put a " + " the beginning of the chapter it means it's in calum's pov and if i put a "-" it's in luke's pov

"Hey, red," Luke shot one of those stunning smiles as Jamie approached his locker. I stood by my locker, just a few lockers away from Luke's, watching Jamie and Luke together.

I paused the David Bowie song playing on my Spotify playlist, but kept my headphones in, trying to eavesdrop in on their conversation.

"What do you think of romance movies?" Jamie asked him.

"Romance?" Luke raised an eyebrow, shrugging one shoulder. "They're alright."

"There's a new movie at the theater. Wanna go tonight?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure," Luke nodded in agreement before Jamie leaned up to Luke's tall height and pecked a quick kiss onto his cheek.

My gaze shifted down to his shoes as I turned on my music again, louder this time, because for some reason, it hurt to see those two together. I didn't want to think about it, so when Luke walked up to me a few minutes later, I walked away to the bathroom for a smoke. Well, started to walk away, that is. I walked back to him and grabbed his arm, pulling him into the bathroom with me before smashing his lips to mine.

After we finished and put on all of our clothing that was previously scattered across the ground, the bell rang for dismissal. I could hear all of the students' feet shuffling out the door, eager to get home. Luke sat down against the wall on the floor and I sat down in his lap, wrapping his arms around my waist. I leaned into him as he pressed his lips against the side of my neck, and I let out a content sigh in response. I frowned as his lips left my neck and he placed me off his lap to stand up.

"Leaving so soon?" I asked, my head tilted to the side slightly.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow..." Luke let out a dramatic sigh before letting out a slight chuckle, "But alas, I got a date."

It felt like someone had poked my heart. Lightly, yet it still hurt a bit. I played dumb, even though I knew what he was going to say. "Oh. With who?"

"Jamie."

That's when he went up and left out the door.

Next morning, when I woke up, I didn't even want to move. I wanted to stay in bed all day and just sleep - no distractions. But I forced myself up out of my bed when my mom yelled, "CALUM! GET UP, THE BUS IS ARRIVING SOON!"

I groaned in annoyance and stood up, walking to my closet and reached for a black tee shirt before looking up at the picture of myself from a few years ago - smiling, happy, myself. I thought about what Luke said. "[...] and wear light colors, they suit you." I pulled my hand back from the black tee shirt and reached to the very back of the closet, my hands grasping and pulling out an oversized, soft sweater I hadn't worn in so long. It was a dark forest green, not pastel, but I guess it was a step closer. I paired it with my same black ripped jeans and slipped on my dark green Doc Marten boots I also hadn't worn in forever.

When I arrived at school, I walked through the doors, pulling my sleeves over my hands. I felt like all eyes were on me and I was overwhelmed with a wave of insecurity that I hadn't felt in a long time. I was so used to bottling in my emotions until I became numb, that I learned to be confident and push everything away, but now, it felt like everyone was staring at me. I fucking hate anxiety.

That's when I told myself to stop being a little bitch and stand up taller. I looked straight ahead, forcing myself to calm the fuck down as I kept walking. Jesus Christ, Calum, get your shit together. It's just a sweater. Goddamn.

Luke walked up to me when I got to my locker. "You took my advice, huh?" he said in a small voice, making sure no one could hear. "I like it. It's nice to see you in something other than black once in a while."

"Fuck off," I mumbled.

"Come over after school, no one's home," Luke said, feeling his hand on my waist before he walked away. He always had to leave me all red and blushy, didn't he?

"Nice look, Hood," I heard a guy mockingly say, and I growled, slamming my locker door shut and pushing him back to the wall with my hand.
"Fuck off, Donovan."

When I arrived at Luke's house, I peeked in the window, making sure Luke wasn't lying when he said there'd be no one home. And then he opened the door.

"Jeez, you nerd, get in. I told you there's no one here."

So I did. His house was big. He was definitely financially stable, that's for sure. He looked like he had a good life. Not bad, but I still liked my house a lot better. My family, too. They were home to me.

And then I saw his dog.

"Oh my god," I gasped, leaning down to pet Luke's dog, a bright smile on my lips.

Dogs are angels on earth, honestly. I wouldn't be able to live without them. Fucking beautiful. Oh my god. I would gladly go to Luke's house whenever just for his dog.

"Her name is Molly," Luke said with a laugh. "We don't have to fuck now, by the way. We got time. You hungry? I bought pizza," he started walking ahead of me, into his kitchen, and I nearly squealed of happiness. I stood up and followed Luke into his kitchen, Molly following behind me. Name a more iconic trio, I'll wait.

Luke placed a slice of pizza on two plates, handing one to me. He lead me into his living room and collapsed on the couch, his hand reaching out for me to sit down. As soon as I did, he pulled me into his arms. I relaxed at his touch, nearly melting at the spot as I took in his scent. He smelled like vanilla and roses. It was absolutely intoxicating.

He grabbed the remote and started scrolling through Netflix, "What do you wanna watch?"

I took the remote out of his hand and clicked on an episode of Supernatural.

"Thank fucking god you didn't choose romance," he muttered. "Jamie put me through hell when we watched that romance movie yesterday."

A small cocky smile arose on my lips. I won. You ain't shit, Jamie.

Luke pressed a kiss to the corner of my lips before taking a bite out of my pizza. I had Molly at my side, resting my head and cozying up to Luke's touch.

author's note //

yeet lmao i'm so impatient for 5sos3, all the boys do is party these days i swear but it's ok bc i lov my babies