Chapter II

Two

TEN YEARS LATER, I was still at the school. I had gotten used to seeing other mutants. I missed my family, but I never came back to see them. Well, not face-to-face. I came to my hometown and monitored them often, just to see if they missed me. They didn't even act like I was gone.

     I didn't care anymore. I had new family. A family of mutants. They were caring and kind. They wouldn't hurt me.

     I was in my room working on a story. I wrote when I was bored, and I've been really bored. It's summer now, so I'm out of college.

     There was a knock at the door.

     "Come in!" I called.

     Claire came in. She was my best friend. We met my first of day of school. She'd been here since she was five. She drowned her brother, and her family sent her away. She works with water. She's like a water bender from The Last Airbender you could say.

     She plopped on my bed, her blonde hair going everywhere as she did. "What are you doing shut in here? Come on. Let's go outside."

     I shrugged. "I'd rather be inside." I hadn't changed much. I still liked being inside and by myself. I never moved into another dorm with another person; the Professor knew I didn't like socializing like that.

     "You're no fun!" She flipped on her back and her head dangled upside down on the edge of my bed. "Please, Andi?" She made a puppy dog face.

     I smiled. "Oh, alright." I pressed a button on my desk, and the hologram of my monitor vanished. I rose from my chair. I raised my hand and used my telekinesis to grab a hair tie. I pulled up hair in a bun. "What are we doing today?"

     "Well, Jamie wanted us to play basketball with him. Us against him and Andre."

     I nodded. "Great."

    I'll be honest, I'm great at basketball, but I hate going against Jamie and Andre. Jamie can turn into metal, just like his older brother, Peter. His brother is one of our guards. He's the head guard, actually. Anyway, enough about Peter. Jamie's good. He's slow, but his strength adds up for it.

    Andre has super speed, and he's also teleporter. That's a bad mix, in all honesty. It's rare when a mutant has two powers like that, but he holds up fairly well.

     We walked up to the basketball court to see Andre dribbling a ball. His tail was flicking like a cat when its mad, but he was clearly happy. He looks human, don't worry. His tail is just the only abnormality.

     He gave Claire a hi-5 and hugged me. "Hey, Andi! Claire finally got you out of that pig sty?"

     I rolled my eyes. "Oh, shush, you. It's not a pig sty. It's cleaner than your dorm."

     Jamie laughed. "She has a point, Andre." He hugged me, more caring than Andre's hug. "I'm glad to see you outside."

     I blushed. I knew Jamie liked me, but I don't know if I like him back. It's complicated.

     We started to play. It was our ball first - Andre insisted because it's ladies first - so Claire was dribbling the ball. I ran to the basket.

     Scott walked by, watching us. "Remember, no powers!" He shouted. He sat down on a bench.

    I laughed. No powers whilst playing basketball was a huge rule. It was considered cheating, and I don't blame them for coming up with that rule. But I broke it every time. Mostly because no one could tell that I was breaking the rule because I only used it if the ball was near enough to me. It'd just look like the ball came towards me. Or I came towards the ball.