Chapter XXX

Thirty

A HAND WAS squeezing mine when I woke up. I could tell we were back at the school. (I of course was back in the hospital room. I swear, maybe I should just move down here.) It seemed like everything was back to normal, as if nothing had happened. But that was a lie. A lot had happened.

        Logan was the one squeezing my hand. I looked at him and smiled. "Andi! You're awake! Oh thank goodness!" He stood up and kissed my forehead.

        "How...long was I...out?" It was hard to talk; my throat felt dry.

        "Longer than you'd think."

        I rose my eye brow. "Do tell, darling."

        "Six months."

        My eyes widened.

        "What you did was very dangerous, Andromeda," the Professor came inside the room.

        I gasped. "You're back!"

        "Lots of catching up to do, I know," he pulled up to my bed and took my hand. "I'll explain all in due time. You need to rest. You could've killed yourself out there."

        "But did it work?"

        He nodded. "Yes. The war has ended. Places like New York are being restored. But I'm not happy with you, Andromeda."

        I gulped. "I...I-I know. I'm sorry."

        He held up his hand and shook his head. "But I'm proud of you." He picked up my hand and kissed my knuckles. "What you did was a true act of courage."

        "Thank you."

        "Now, I don't want to overwhelm you, but I think this will be the easiest way to update you on current affairs."

        He placed his hands around my head and closed his eyes. Images flashed before my mind. He explained to the whole school why he was gone, and that he was not really dead. The school managed to stay in tact. Everyone who is alive is back at the school. Andre coaches basketball; Jamie was teaching self defense; Milo was teaching Chemistry; Oscar was doing well in everything; all the others were back to their original positions. Everything was fine.

        I grabbed my head. "Oooh," I moaned. It hurt to see all those.

        "Your powers are temporarily weakened," said the Professor. "But with some training, you'll be back to normal in no time. Now, if you will excuse me." He pulled away from the bed and glided out the door on his hovering chair.

        I turned to Logan. "Could you get me some water?"

        He jumped up and nodded. "Whatever you want, Sweetie."

        I looked up at the ceiling and sighed. I missed six months, and it only felt like maybe an hour at most.

        There was a knock against the wall, and I saw Jamie standing there. I sat up slowly and smiled. He ran up to me and hugged me.

        "Oh, I'm so happy you're awake," he said to me. He kissed my cheek. "I've missed you so much."

        I hugged him tighter. "I missed you, too. It's been so long."

        "It really has. Did you hear that Rogue had her baby?"

        I shook my head.

        "A little baby girl. They named her Lilly. She's beautiful."

        I smiled, but didn't say anything. I wasn't sure what to say.