Chapter VIII

Eight

OSCAR WOKE UP before I did; I knew that because when I woke up, he wasn't there. I worried as to where he went off to, but my guess was that he went down to breakfast.

     I rubbed my eyes and headed into the bathroom. I took a shower. When I did, my mind drifted, and I was thinking about how I had kissed Logan.

    I don't know why I kissed him, but I liked to. His lips were soft. He seemed so gentle, even with those claws. He had kissed me back, and his mind said that he was definitely surprised that I'd kissed him. I was, too.

     I headed down stairs to the kitchen to get some breakfast. On the way, I saw Oscar in the living room watching Spongebob Squarepants with some other boys around his age. I smiled and waved at him. I was glad that he'd found some friends.

     Rogue was in the kitchen eating cereal. She looked like she had been crying.

     "Are you okay?" I asked her.

    She nodded, but I knew she was lying.

     "Tell me the truth," I said, grabbing a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

     "Well, I'm scared," she whispered.

     "Why?"

    She sighed. "You know how you can get sperm put in you if you want to be pregnant instead of have sex?"

    I nodded.

    "Well, Bobby and I did that because we want to have children. And I'm pregnant. But I'm terrified. No one can touch me. Will the baby live?"

     I didn't know what to say. I sat there, frozen. I looked at her. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. "You're needed downstairs." It was Logan. "Take your cereal, I doubt they'll care."

     I grabbed my bowl and left. I was glad that I could get out of that situation, but I felt bad for leaving.

     I walked inside the elevator, Logan behind me. I ate my cereal and felt awkward because neither of us were talking. "So," I said after swallowing, "what kind of trouble am I in now?"

     He snickered. "None that I know of. But I think I know what this is for. You aren't the only student coming down here. Jamie, Andre and Claire are here."

    The elevator opened. "What do you think it's for?"

     He grinned. "Read my mind if you're so desperate to know."

     "Well, since you suggested I read your mind, I don't think I will."

    He put his arm around my waist and walked up to a door that led into a room I'd never set foot in. "This is the Induction Room. We haven't used it a long time, but no student has met the requirements of becoming an X-Men," Logan said.

     I dropped my cereal outside the room. I was surprised. "What!?" I looked down. "Sorry."

    An adult mutant (I assumed was the janitor) came and mopped up the mess.

    "Come in," I heard the Professor say.

    I came inside the room. It was clean. The cleanest room I'd ever seen, besides the room where Cerebro was. The walls and floor were made out of the same material, which was white and shiny. Jamie, Andre and Claire were standing there with the Professor and some of the other X-Men.

     The Professor said, "After recent events, we've discovered that you four would be great if you were part of the X-Men."

     I stood with Claire and Jamie. "R-really?"