10

Areum's POV

7 years later...

" Thank you Miss Song. " I smiled as I waved at her, seeing her walked away with a genuine smile on her face touched my heart.

I closed the door as I walked to my desk.

Remember what I said 7 years back ?

I said I want to be a counsellor so I could help those in need and make them feel wanted and not alone. My wish was granted and I am now officially a counsellor.

Many people have misconceptions about counsellors, I used to have such misconceptions too but after I overcame depression, I realised it isn't all true.

Many thought that counsellors are like some sort of magician and could magically vanish your mental illness away within a visit, that's not true.

Unfortunately, sometimes we are unable to even save our patients even if we are holding onto them so tight.

Sometimes it's not counsellor's fault, it's no one's fault in generally but whenever a life got taken away and he or she is a patient of a counsellor, it suddenly became the counsellor's fault.

As a counsellor, I know that being a counsellor and counselling someone isn't going to be easy but I chose to do it, in hope of saving a life.

It might just seemed like a life but that person might mean the world to someone and that someone is most probably, your family, friends and partner.

In this current society, thousands of people took away their lives because of depression and I almost became a victim of it too.

Depression shouldn't be taken lightly, many victims thought it would eventually go away but they were wrong. It would go against you, stronger than ever.

I have a case where one of my patient took away his own life because of depression. It developed because of bullying in school and family problems at home.

He was only in his teenage years but yet, this cruel world have to force him to the edge.

I remembered something he told me on his last and final visit here.

" Miss Song, I will always remember you regardless of what happen. You will always be my hero, thank you for believing in me even though many didn't. I love you Miss Song. "

He was such a cheerful little boy who have hopes and dreams but it got crushed because of the thorough bullying in school and constant harsh remarks he've received at home.

" Miss Song ? " I looked up to see a little girl walking in with a teddy in her arms. She looked rather scared and hesitant as she held onto her mother's hand tightly.

" This is Jihyun, she has been refusing to talk so her dad and I decide to bring her here. " I nodded and told her mother to leave us alone as I have a little chit-chat session with Jihyun.

" Hello Jihyun, I'm Miss Song but many people call me Areum. " I smiled and she looked down at the floor.

I smiled, " What a cute teddy, what's it's name ? " I asked and she murmured Bear.

After I've made her slightly more comfortable with me, I decide to ask the question. " Jihyun-ah, why didn't you want to talk ? "

She looked at me hesitantly as I shot her a warmth smile, " I-I am scared. " She said in a really soft voice, as she hugged onto her teddy even tighter.

I smiled warmly as I patted her head, " Do you want to continue or do you want to stop for today ? " She looked at me, signalling that she wants to continue.

" M-Mommy and daddy often argue at home and they would t-throw things at e-each other. I-I would also a-always be teased in school f-for being t-tiny and having a teddy. " She said as she started hugging her teddy even tighter than before.

I sighed as I pat her head lightly, it makes me feel sad how kids these days could actually be suffering from bullying even at such tender age.

Jihyun is only five and she's being teased in school, but most importantly, it shows how parent's actions could affect a child's actions.

Jihyun became so introverted because of bullying and also because of her parents constant argue and throwing of objects at each other. It scares her so much that she didn't dare to say anything or even do anything.

Fortunately, from my observation, her case of mental illness isn't that severe yet. If this persist and her mom didn't bring her to me, she might have been in a big trouble.

People have to understand that kids these days could be suffering from depression as well and not just throwing of tantrum or whatever.

Because many people didn't notice that or think of that as a symptom of mental illness, it persist and as the child age, it became severe mental illness which would lead to them taking away their own lives.

" Ma'am, she said that she's scared because she saw you and your husband arguing at home and throwing objects at each other. " She seemed really sorry when I said that.

" And also, she said that she got teased in school for being small-sized. I think you should talk to the school teacher about it, I'm afraid as it persist on, it might not have a good effect on her well-being. " I said and her mother seemed really apologetic towards Jihyun.

" Thank you Miss Song, I will talk to the teacher about it and as for the issue between my husband and I, I will try to mend our relationship. " She smiled but I could sense that she's disappointed.

Which parents wouldn't feel disappointed in themselves if their child developed mental illness because of their actions ?

I smiled slightly, " You're welcome Miss Jang, but i'm not saying it's fully you and your husband's fault. So don't feel bad about yourself. " She smiled slightly and thanked me as she held Jihyun's hand, leaving my room.

As I was about to relax, someone knocked on the door. " Miss Song ? " He entered the room and a smile appeared on my face.

" I bought food ! " He said as he held up a bag of lunchbox. I smiled as he placed the lunchbox on my desk and opened the lids on the lunchbox.

" Why did you come ? " I asked and he lied against the chair with a playful smile.

" I just missed you too much. " He winked and the both of us burst into laughter.

He held my hand, " What do you want Lawyer Bang ? " He chuckled and suddenly I felt something on my finger.

" I want you to be Mrs Bang. "

3rd Feb 2018

ABSJSHSJJS THE ENDING IS SO CRINGY!!

but I just want all of you to know that you guys can and will overcome depression or any mental illness. Now that this book came to an end, there would no longer be any updates to the next part of their lives but you guys can always come and talk to me :)

Thank you guys for reading this and I hope you guys are all able to overcome all the tough obstacles in your lives.

You guys can do it and I love you guys !! <3