The Third Insult

When I came to visit him the next day, all was surprisingly quiet. I was curious and walked to his cell. There was no sound, no screaming. I wondered what was going on for a moment, but then I noticed him in bed. He was sleeping in the strangest position I had ever seen somebody sleep. I can't even describe it. Ugh, this guy even managed to be weird when he was asleep...

But I couldn't wake him up. It was too nice to have a moment of silence in the dungeon. I sat down on the ground and decided to wait for him to awaken. Oh, I was going to deliver him another sick burn as soon as he'd wake up.

I got lost in thought while I was waiting. Was this really worse than death for him? It had to be. I knew how much he loved himself and especially his reputation. If I could just torment him long enough, his mindset would perhaps finally take a different turn. And then... THEN...

Indeed, what then? I hadn't really thought it through that far. Eventually, I'd have to dispose of him. But how? Set him free? No, he would probably try to kill me. So... should I kill him then? Killing wasn't really in my nature. But then again... he was responsible for the deaths so many people, would it really be that bad to murder this insane, maniacal...

When I looked at the cell again, I froze for a moment. Spandam was awake. He was still in bed and stared at me with wide, terrifying eyes. The silence wasn't enjoyable anymore all of a sudden and I shivered. I realized I liked him better when he was shouting and screaming instead of staring with this shark-like gaze.

"You again," he then muttered. "What's it going to be this time?"

I stood up and coughed for a moment.

"You're awake, I see," I said. "I have been thinking, Spandam. I wondered, why is it that whenever you hold food in your hands, it never rots, no matter how long you hold it?"

He growled.

"But then I figured it out," I said with a smile. "Fungus is too afraid to come anywhere near you, because you are already rotten to the core!"

I could see he was trying to ignore my insult, but he couldn't withstand the might of the burn.

"THAT'S ENOUGH! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!" he screamed. "I WAS ACHIEVING WORLD PEACE, YOU HEAR ME!!! WORLD..... PEACE!!!!!"

"Scream all you want," I said. "You call it world peace, but you murder others while saying it."

"Murdering others," he growled with a sadistic smile, "is only part of the operation to ACHIEVE world peace. A few lives in exchange for peace, what's wrong with that?"

"See, that's your problem right there in that sentence," I said. "Peace means EXACTLY the opposite of what you're saying. Peace among men is exactly the opposite or murder."

I turned away.

"Do you think you can understand that?"

"Ha! You talk as if you know anything about it," he said. "You talk as if sacrifices are evil deeds. What a joke!"

I sighed.

"That's enough for today then."

"WAIT!! I'M NOT THROUGH WITH YOU YET!!!"

But I ignored him and walked away. He truly was a hopeless case.