twelve - tobias

“Do you want to go to the county fair?”

Tris moved her arms around Tobias from the back, pressing a small kiss to his cheek and being careful of the healing wound in his shoulder. She furrowed her eyebrows at the question, moving her head to look sideways at him. He did the same to her, eyebrow lifted. “I thought that was next month? It seems a bit early to host that in February.”

“It’s not the summer one,” Tobias said, “Valentine’s Day is tomorrow? It’s based around that, I guess. Zeke was talking about it. I think he and Shauna will go.”

A sign about left Tris’s mouth. She was pretty sure Shauna hated her. The way she avoided Tris at every cost during outings with Marlene and Christina was proof enough. Maybe there was a way to go as a group.

“Is it a date?” Tris asked.

“I’m sure everywhere we go out will be a date from now on,” Tobias moved his head closer, a twinkle in his eye as he lifted a hand behind Tris’s head, pulling her lips toward his.

Like all their other handful of kisses, it was slow at first. Tobias, though, seemed to want to deepen it as he moved his hand further into her hair, being gentle but firm as he continued to kiss her. Tris wished she wasn’t still behind the couch, hanging over the back of it. She wished she had sat down and that it was easier to deepen it--that it was easier to pull him over her and lean back--

The puppy that sat next to Tobias whined loudly. Tris attempted to ignore him, but it wasn’t successful as Beau then yapped. When Tris pulled away, eyes directed down to the dog, he was looking back at her, head up from when he was laying down. “What?” Tris asked, laughing as Beau hopped up, pawing at the top of the couch. He only looked between Tris and Tobias, almost shaking his head.

“Someone doesn’t like when his owner kisses someone else, huh?” Tris reached forward with her hands, itching behind Beau’s ears.

Tobias scowled, reluctantly going to pet the dog after he rudely interrupted. “You're going to have to get used to it.”

Rolling her eyes, Tris stood up, kissing the top of Tobias’s head before she was walking to the back of her apartment to change.

+++

Tris opened the passenger's side door, letting a grumpy Tobias step out before she was closing it and locking the truck. “I hate that I can’t at least look like a good boyfriend and open the door for you. Stupid arm injury.”

Their arms went instinctively to each other, hands connecting as they walked toward the opening to the festival. The Ferris wheel stood big in the back of the pier, already going around and around. It was Tris’s favorite ride.

“Stupid Tobias who doesn’t remember his vest.” Tris looked up to him, eyebrows raised but smile cracking a moment later. She turned back forward, toward that Ferris wheel. “Let’s go on that one in the end. It’s better at sunset.”

Tobias seemed to blanch, but he smiled a moment later so Tris let it go. “Sounds good.”

“Four!”

Zeke and Shauna were sitting near a fried dough station, the said food item sitting on a plate as Shauna snacked at it. Using the arm that was wrapped around his soulmate, Zeke waved to them as they made their way to the table. Shauna didn’t glance up to them, eyes stuck in her phone and whatever was happening on it. As Tobias let go of her hand, walking around the table to embrace his friend that stood up, Tris folded her arms tightly, waiting for her own friends to walk through the gates. Christina had texted her with an update a few minutes ago.