eighteen - tobias

The table was silent. Christina and Will had instantly furrowed their eyebrows, glancing around and figuring out that they were the only ones not in the loop. Tris watched Christina’s narrowed eyes go right to hers and she wanted to sink further into Tobias’s arms. She clung closer to him, feeling the arm he had laid around her a moment after Uriah had asked if Tobias was serious, when she began fall further into his embrace, hug closer to her.

“Yes,” Tobias said after the endless minutes of silence. “Or, that is what Caleb told me. It doesn’t mean I believe it. I don’t believe anything he’s saying.”

“Am I missing something here?” Christina questioned. “Should I worry that my father, too, is after Tris? What’s so special about Four’s dad?”

Behind her, she felt Tobias stiffen. But she knew there would be that question from Christina--what was so special about Tobias’s father after her--so Tobias should’ve known. Maybe he tried to hope that wouldn’t be the case. There was a sense of sarcasm in Christina’s voice and her lips grew in the corners, just a bit. Christina stopped smiling the moment she realized no one else was. She leaned into Will more, embarrassment showing on her face as her husband pulled her closer.

“My father. . .” Tris moved her hand to close around Tobias’s, trying to transfer more comfort through touch. But Tobias stopped speaking, mouth closing and glancing around the diner they sat in. Everyone at the table knew about the articles released on Marcus Eaton, but only Christina and Will were clueless to the fact Eaton was Tobias’s last name. His gaze was stuck on his food and Tobias popped another fry into his mouth, chewing as he decided which path he wanted to go. Gathering his thoughts, Tobias took a deep inhale, looking up to Christina and Will. “I am Tobias Eaton. Marcus Eaton is. . .my father.”

Will narrowed his eyebrows more, if that was even possible. “But, he--”

“Abused his son? Killed his wife?” The short nod from Tobias created a fissure in Tris’s heart. “Yeah. Do I have to show you the scars too?”

Wincing, Will shook his head. “No.”

“We will lock him up if what Caleb says is true,” Uriah said, words firm and truthful. His eyes didn’t leave Tobias, and even with the age gap, Tobias didn’t speak or seem as if Uriah was treating him like he was younger than him. Perhaps the leadership Uriah had in the station influenced that. “I promise that.”

Tris turned her head to watch Tobias nod, a curt and short one, with the emotion floating in his eyes. She peaked a look at Christina, who was looking down at her empty plate of food, a blank look on her face. Will pulled his arm back, placing a twenty dollar bill on the table before scooting his chair back and standing up. Christina followed his lead, grabbing her phone before she slipped her hand back into Will’s. Her eyes avoided Tris’s gaze.

“That should cover our meals,” Will muttered, eyeing the money before looking up at Tris once. “We’ll see you later.”

“Christina.”

Tris couldn’t remember the last time her friend was upset at her. Even this time, she didn’t know what she did. Tris watched Will squeeze Christina’s hand, maybe a silent call for Christina to turn back and talk to Tris. Maybe if her soulmate hadn’t done it, she wouldn’t have turned. She wouldn’t have listened to Tris.

“The next time you know something I don’t,” Christina said as she turned, “I would advise you to tell me. It doesn’t feel good when I find out at a lunch when we discuss the fact that your soulmate’s dad is trying to kill you, and your traitorous brother is the one claiming these facts. How realistic does that sound to you?” Tris watched Christina glance between her and Tobias, who had his arms wrapped around her. “His dad is thought to be planning to kill you, and yet you’re still wrapped in his arms. You trust him, after that?”