thirteen - tobias

Tris walked out of her university class, waving goodbye to a friend and smiling before she turned to go to the front doors. That was her last class of the day and Tris could thank the God above for the end of the day. It had gone by so slow all day, her eyes continuing to the clock of the classroom it seemed almost every minute the hands of the tool turned.

One hand pushed to open the door while her other one reached to put her backpack over her shoulder, but pulling her phone out of the bottom pocket before doing so. She checked her notifications, answering to the texts that needed an answer, stepping to sat on a bench so she wasn’t in the way of the university doors. There was a message from Tobias and Tris clicked on it, smiling at the picture Tobias sent her, along with the message.

Your two favorite boys.

Tobias had a small grin on his face holding a hand to the front of Beau, as the puppy looked straight at the camera. Instead of replying, Tris reached to press the phone icon of the conversation, holding the phone to her ear. It rang a few times, and as Tobias’s sweet, deep voice passed through the speaker, it only filled her with more joy.

“Hello?”

“I sure do love that picture,” Tris answered the phone with. “I’m saving it to be my wallpaper as soon as possible.” She glanced around the campus parking lot, watching cars leave and enter. Maybe if she started to her car, she could get back to her apartment, where Beau and Tobias were.

“Finally, something to balance out the fact you are all over the wallpaper on my own phone.”

Tris rolled her eyes. “It’s the picture from the fair just a week ago. Don’t act as if I’ve been your background for a year now--”

The words died on Tris’s lips. Her mouth went dry as she spotted the police car, sitting near but far from the school.

“Tris?”

“Are you here to pick me up, or something? Because you can’t drive, Tobias, I thought you knew tha--”

“What?” There was a pause of eerie silence. “I’m not there. I’m at work.”

There was mumbling, which sounded like Zeke, on Tobias’s line. “There’s a police car here, Tobias.” Tris stood up, reaching to get her keys out of her backpack, panicking.

“I’m sure it’s nothing bad.” Tobias was saying, though Tris couldn’t hear him properly. “Probably someone just checking around.”

He didn’t understand. Tris hadn’t told him about what happened with Eric, and who the officer in the front seat of the vehicle looked like. How he seemed to follow her every move. With shaky hands, she unlocked her car. “Stay on the phone.”

“I’m here.” There was more talking on the other line, and Tris’s worry grew. What were they talking about?

“Hey Uri! Where’s Coulter?”

There was a pause. “On patrol!”

Tris willed her legs to move faster. She pulled on the car handle, throwing her backpack on the passenger seat, sitting down, and slamming her door. At the same time her own car started, so did the police car.

“Tris, breathe.” Tobias’s voice became quiet in the speaker, meaning to talk low. “Breathe and tell me why you’re panicking so hard.”

“I can’t.”

“Tris.”

She didn’t answer. Her phone hooked up as bluetooth right as the connection was caught and Tris put the car in reverse, backing out of the spot and driving to exit the lot.