0 3 : That's my girlfriend

"I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to announce it without talking to him first," Karter explained to her friends, "but yeah, we're dating."

"Oh, so that's why you were a little more hostile than usual," Bri observed.

"Yup," Karter put on her best acting in hopes that she could effectively fool her friends that had known her pretty much all their lives.

"Well I'm so happy for you! We should all hang out some time!"

Jessica just sat on the couch with her arms crossed. There was something that didn't make sense about the whole situation. Karter, their Karter, was dating someone? And it was Caleb at that? Karter maybe had a boyfriend in middle school but she hadn't really shown any interest in dating since then, which made the announcement all the more strange. Something fishy is going on here, Jessica thought to herself.

-

Sweat beaded on Caleb's forehead as he went up against Logan in a one-on-one basketball match. They were playing at one of the public courts on the beach because after, it meant a dip in the ocean to cool off.

The harsh afternoon sun beat down on their backs as natives and tourists alike bustled around on the beach and boardwalk surrounding them. The sounds of the setting blended together in a familiar noise.

Caleb dribbled back out and was going to go in for another layup, but Logan gestured to someone behind him. He turned around to see Karter waving at them. She held a surfboard in one arm, and her hair was braided down her back. The two boys waved back and she smiled, then headed for the water.

Logan walked over towards his friend, "who's that?"

"That's my girlfriend," Caleb sighed. With wide eyes, Logan stole the ball out of Caleb's hand in one swift motion.

"Excuse me, what?!"

Caleb shrugged and tried to grab the ball back but Logan kept it out of his reach.

"No, you don't get this until you explain. You're dating Karter Thomas? Since when? Why didn't you tell me? Are we no longer friends anymore? ARE YOU LEAVING ME?!" Logan asked dramatically.

"Chill out, I'm telling you now," Caleb ruffled his hair in annoyance as his eyes followed Karter down the beach, "it's not actually real though..." Caleb explain the agreement the two had made, "but you can't tell anyone. If you let it slip then you'll ruin her plan."

"And you're really going along with this?" Logan asked.

"Yeah, I mean what's the worst that could happen."

"You could fall in love with her."

Caleb's head whipped towards Logan who wore a devious smile.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen."

"Hey, you never know. The heart works in mysterious ways," Logan brought his hand up to his forehead as if he were in a play, but Caleb was having none of it. He kicked Logan in the shins, grabbed the ball, and made a three pointer.

"My heart doesn't."

"Hey, that's a low blow," Logan writhed in pain on the ground, "it's kind of funny though that a short guy is kicking me in the shins."

Caleb wound up to kick him again but Logan just laughed at his small companion and ran to the other side of the court with a small limp from where he had been kicked.

"You know, if she really wants to prove it to her friends, you could bring her to Nick's party tonight. I heard everyone's gonna be there, so it should take care of spreading the 'news'," Logan suggested.

Caleb paused to think. It would be good exposure, but then would he have to hang out with he all night? Probably not. She could go with some of her friends and then he could meet them as well.

He searched the beach to see if he could find her, to tell her about the party, and he saw her walking out of the water with a big smile. It might be fun, Caleb thought.

"Despite you being an idiot, that's not a bad idea."

"Mean," Logan mumbled.

● ● ●

2/4/18