2 0 : I guess height really doesn't matter.

That's my girlfriend, Caleb thought in awe and wonder as he watched Karter surf.

They had been dating for a couple weeks, going out together and just enjoying each other's company without having to fake it. But after the first surprise kiss, there hadn't been much PDA since. Caleb didn't know how to initiate it.

He had dated before, kissing other girls and having general contact, but it was different with Karter. She was light. She was intimidating and beautiful and had a smile that rivaled the brightness of the sun. How was he supposed to kiss that?

Unbeknownst to him, Karter was having the same issues. She wanted to constantly hug him. She wanted to hold hands all the time and she definitely wanted to kiss but she sure as hell didn't know how to do it. Caleb was hard to read. He was intense and so unbelievably adorable and attractive at the same time that Karter didn't know what to do.

So, the two remained in a position of unknowing.

Not knowing the other felt the same way and not knowing what to do.

Caleb sat on the beach with Logan, Jessica, and Derek while Karter and Camden enjoyed the waves.

"You are actually so annoying," Jessica said to Logan as he sprayed her with the remainder of his water bottle. They constantly fought, but Caleb knew they were friends. "I wish Bri was here to save me," she whined.

"Too bad she's at Stanford," Logan laughed evilly.

Fed up with his face, Jessica picked up her bottle of Gatorade and lunged toward the 18 year old who acted like a child. With a shriek, Logan jumped up and started running down the beach with Jessica chasing after.

"Nooo!" He cried, "Jess! It's gonna staaaain!"

Caleb and Derek rolled their eyes at the pair as Karter trudged up the beach with her surfboard and Camden. She sat down on the same towel as Caleb and scooted closer towards him. Even after 14 days, he still had trouble hiding the blush that appeared whenever she was near.

"I think one day they're going to kill each other," Derek said in reference to Jessica and Logan.

"I'd think that too, except they'd miss arguing," Camden responded.

The group of four discussed their plans for the end of the summer and began heading to their respective cars once the crazy couple stopped making a scene. The plan was to chill at Jessica's place and play video games because the weather forecast for the day called for rain.

Karter got into Caleb's car, because they had come together.

"Do you think Jessica and Logan are going to date eventually?" Caleb asked.

Karter thought for a second, "maybe, but I think they'll realize they're better off as friends and dissolve their romantic relationship. It's honestly hard for me to see them together," she laughed.

The sound made Caleb happy and he set his hand on the center console. Karter looked at it and then back it him a couple times before grabbing it and clasping their fingers together.

Caleb was surprised but excited and turned to look at Karter who was simply staring out the window as if nothing had happened.

They drove in silence, each of their hearts nearly pounding out of their chest.

-

"All I'm saying," Logan started for the 15th time, "is that if Thanos were up against Deadpool, the whole snapping thing never would've happened."

"Yeah," Jessica agreed as she played split-screen with him, "and this dude was saying that wouldn't happen?"

"Yeah! It was some straight up bull."

"Totally."

Caleb wiped his hands on his jeans and tried not to flip out. During the time the crazy couple and Derek were switching off with the controller, Caleb was trying to devise a plan to get Karter alone.

Scenario after scenario popped into his head but nothing felt like it was going to work. After the millionth idea he envisioned ended horribly, he couldn't take it any more.

He was going to kiss Karter.

His brain felt like it was gonna explode as he tapped her arm and gestured for her to follow. They got up from the couch and walked down the hall before Caleb stopped her.

He took a deep breath and then gently leaned her up against the wall. Without speaking, he leaned forward, giving Karter a chance to leave, and then brought his mouth to hers.

She leaned in as well and the two made out in the hallway of Jessica's house. Caleb pulled Karter's hips towards him and moved his hands up her back while her arms relaxed on his shoulders.

They pulled apart and looked at each other for a second before laughing. They quickly kissed again before going back to the living room where Logan was shouting about something stupid.

-

"I'll get some more snacks," Jessica said as she handed her controller to Derek. She walked down the hall and turned around the corner when she saw her best friend and Caleb going at it. She quickly moved out of sight and pressed herself up against the wall in shock.

The hell is going on in my good Christian hallway?!

She peaked to see the couple still kissing and even though Caleb was ever on his tip-toes, they looked hella adorable.

Well, Jessica thought to herself and began walking away to give them some privacy, I guess height really doesn't matter.

The End

● ● ●

8/1/18