1 6 : This is kinda crazy

Karter wasn't expecting much of a turnout at the basketball game, but there were quite a few more people than she imagined. Bri was getting ready for college and Jessica was working, so neither of the girls would make an appearance but Karter recognized a couple of girls from her graduating class so she sat near them.

"This is kinda crazy," one girl said to the other, "I hope it's stays civil, ya know? I hope no one gets into a fight."

"Pfft," the other girl responded, "well I guess we came here for different things."

It was a cooler day and the sky was overcast, but Karter didn't mind. It would've been torture to have to sit on the hot sand watching random dudes play basketball.

I guess they're not all random, she thought to herself.

She knew Caleb and Logan, obviously, but she was also aquatinted with James and knew of Derek.

The Canton guys, however, were brand new faces. She also didn't recognize some of the crowd.

Probably people from Canton.

The two teams were huddled separately and then they met in the center. It seemed like they had chosen someone to be the "ref", and with a quick gesture, the ball was up and in play.

The tension from the small crowd was palpable as they watched their peers play against each other. Karter felt surprisingly anxious as well. There was something about watching your friend compete that opened up a whole new part of the brain.

She sat at the edge of her towel, intently following the basketball.

2 for Canton
2 for Home
2 for Home
2 for Canton

The score was close throughout the entire first part of the game, which didn't relieve any of pressure. In fact, it drew some newcomers to watch.

There was a short break for the two teams and Karter bought some ice cold gatorades for the group she was cheering on.

The four boys were covered in sweat, and although the sun wasn't blaring, the humidity added a different kind of heat.

"Hey, you guys are doing great," Karter said as she handed them the drinks. They thanked her and put the cold beverages against their heads and necks. Under different circumstances the guys would have greeted her in a friendlier manner, but they were all in strict game mode.

Karter sat down next to Caleb.

"Hey, how do you guys think you're doing?" She asked.

"Ok," he answered, "we're only ahead by 2 and they definitely aren't gonna let down anytime soon."

Karter saw the shake of his leg and realized that it might feel even more stressful than a regular game. She stood up and moved behind the bench Caleb was sitting on so she could massage his shoulders.

Caleb was startled and nearly felt his heart leap out of his chest, but Karter just turned his head forward and continued to massage.

Even though it felt like an awkward position, Caleb could feel the tension releasing from his shoulders. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

After the short break, the game started up again and the boys were going head to head harder than the first quarter.

As the game progressed, Canton was ahead during halftime and the third quarter, the crowd became more and more rowdy. The increasing audience left little room in-between spectators which caused a couple disagreements.

Karter was worried. Both teams had talent. Both teams had passion. It was a toss up.

The fourth quarter was wrapping up and nearly everyone was invested. The ball whipped from player to player in fast motions, one basket after another.

Time ticked down, second after second until Derek jumped up to make a three pointer.

The crowd held their breath as the ball bounced off the backboard and into the net. The home side burst out in exclamation and Karter along with them. They had won.

The boys ran to each other and cheered while some of the onlookers went to congratulate them. Karter planned to wait after the crowd dispersed to meet up with the boys.

A few people had hung back with her. There was one particularly aggressive guy that had been saying some nasty things throughout the game, and with Canton's loss they only increased.

"Fuck them," he swore and then continued with a string of hostile words that Karter would never dare repeat.

Some of the people around her scowled at his fowl language but didn't say anything. Karter wasn't sure what to do. There were some children around that shouldn't be hearing those things but was she really going to get in a fight with a guy bigger than her?

She was debating when he said something vile about Derek's skin color.

She had enough.

With long strides, she moved over towards the man and spoke with a force she hoped he noted, "can you stop swearing?"

A sneer appeared on his face, like he was waiting for someone to confront him.

"What're you gonna do about it? This is a free country. Freedom of speech, bitch."

Across the court Caleb was receiving congratulations with a smile. They had done it! They had beaten Canton!

He couldn't help but notice, however, that Karter wasn't among the people praising him. He searched the faces until his eyes settled on the girl's messy hair. His smile fell when he saw her passionately speaking to a man nearly twice his size. Her stance said everything it needed to.

She was going to fight that man.

In panic, Caleb pushed through the crowd and jogged over to where the two of them were arguing.

"Hey," He said, "what's going on?" With a glance towards Karter he saw something he hoped never ever to see again.

Her eyes were tearing up.

"What's going on?" Caleb asked again, but this time with a little more force.

"Mind your own fucking business." The man spit out.

Caleb's hands balled into fists.

Gently, Caleb placed his hand on Karter's shoulder and steered her towards his teammates.

As they took a step away, the man called out, "that's right you whore! Run away!"

And then Caleb punched the guy in the face.

Hard.

And with no remorse.

● ● ●

5/18/18

Dedicated to @_Inksquisite_ for being a lovely devoted reader :) <3