07 | Like a Freight Train

Chapter 07 | Like a Freight Train

• • •

        As usual, my Saturday goes by without straying too far from the homebody shit I've gotten used to. Besides the trips to the refrigerator and bathroom, my day is spent swaddled in bed, trying not to think about anything deeper than what I wanted to eat next. With summer winding down as fast as it is, the days of doing absolutely nothing and getting away with it are almost over.

        Keeping my mind off of anything to do with Sheila was going flawlessly. Up until I opened the drawer of my nightstand and was met with big, brown eyes.

        I hadn't thought about this picture or the letter it came with since I showed them to Ms. Miranda – at least not until Greg showed up trying to play Dr. Phil and assert whatever fake ass authority he thought he had over me. All this shit had been pushed so far out of my mind.

        But, the eyes staring back at me take me right back to that bottomless feeling from months before. The feeling that I'm falling without the relief of hitting rock bottom, that falling is all there is.

        I shut the drawer, forgetting why I opened it in the first place, but the damage is already done. All I can think about now is shiny engagement rings on brown fingers and Sunday evenings spent watching cartoons.

        And then my phone rings. Hungry for a distraction, I answer without so much as checking to see who it is.

        "Hello?" I sit upright in the bed and adjust the pillows.

        "What you doing, hoe?"

        It takes no time for regret to set in. This is what I get for not blocking her damn number like I wanted to.

        "Why?" I ask, knowing full well that I'm already trying to think of an excuse to get off the phone.

        "Why, what?"

        "Why you wanna know what I'm doing, Xoë?" I kick the comforters off my legs to let the cool air carry over my thighs.

        "Because I'm mad bored in this hotel and Pops is watching the news and shit. I need a move."

        "And what that got to do with me?"

        I can't even lie and pretend I'm not just as bored as she is, but spending the day talking about niggas and staring at her dick flicks doesn't strike me as a good way to pass the time. I'd rather go in Donovan's room and watch him yell at his damn TV screen.

        "Everything considering you're the only person I know here." She pauses and says something to Greg about needing him to take her somewhere. "So what time can you be ready?"

        "Half-past not happening because I'm still not seeing why this need to include me."

        "You really 'bout to get me tight," she huffs. "It's either we go somewhere tonight or you spend all day with me on Monday doing whatever the hell I want. Your choice." 

        "Jerry, I think I'll take neither for five hundred, please."

• • •

        The next morning, I'm woken from sleep so good it probably left lines in my face, by Ms. Corrine knocking on my door for the fourth time. I ignored her the first three times hoping that if I stayed put long enough she would give up.