20 | Walter White Shit

Chapter 20 | Walter White Shit

• • •

        The velvety voice of Stevie Wonder fills the restaurant as I shovel a string of asparagus across my plate. Vino smiles at something on his phone screen, locks the device and sits it face-up on the table.

        "Uhuh, Keila. What the hell you keep looking up at? I already told you when you on FaceTime with me, I need your undivided attention, hoe."

        She stops dabbing makeup on her face long enough to give me a stank face. Her eyelids are painted a bold blend of greens and yellows resembling a budding field of sunflowers, lips shimmering with a thin film of gloss.

        When I asked why she was getting all dolled up, all she said was, "A bad bitch don't need a reason to be a bad bitch. I'm doing this cause I'm bored and ain't shit else to do."

        And so for twenty minutes I've been listening to her mumble along to the City Girls and watching as she coats her face in mixes of contour and highlighter that only I will see. Vino sits quietly munching on his food and grinning at Xo's slick one-liners.

        For the most part, she's kept it clean with only a few innuendos and unwanted references to her bomb ass pussy. Her words not mine.

        "Nothing, aight. Just finish your make-up."

        Taking a sip of my water, I scan the room as business slowly picks back up. Middle-aged men and women mosey through the entrance and line the bar, clad in pencil skirts and neck ties, desperate to take advantage of the newly incorporated happy hour – courtesy of Rondo.

        Him and Trina scuffle from one end of the bar to the other filling shot glasses and shaking up colorful combinations that will lead to at least one quickie in a handicap stall.

        I eye the pair lingering at the far right of the bar as the man leans down to whisper in the woman's ear, hand drifting dangerously low on her back. She crosses her legs at the ankles and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

        My bet is on them. Horny asses.

        "Damn, so now I'm nothing?" Vino asks with mock-hurt. Leaning back in his chair, he wipes his mouth clean with a napkin and drops it in the brown bag.

        I glare at him over the top of my phone and hope Xo couldn't hear him over the background noise.

        Too much like right.

        "Girl, is that a nigga 'cause it damn sure sound like one." She angles her ear toward the phone. "He better be fine if he got you ignoring me."

        He smirks. "He is."

        Xo's face lights up with recognition. Her tongue shoots out of her mouth in time with the hand she throws into the air. I facepalm.

        "Aooooowwww, my bitch on a date, bout to get that pussy ate!"

        Looking around to make sure nobody heard her, I turn the volume down on my phone. She celebrates in silence, flapping her tongue between her index and middle finger. The excitement drains from her face when she sees her energy isn't being reciprocated.

        "Are you finished or are you done?" I ask.

        She kisses her teeth and repositions her magnifying mirror to outline her eyebrows with concealer.