Chapter Seven: Calamity

Seraphina

Sera could feel Amanda approaching before seeing her short, quaffed hair over the edge of her cubicle. She doesn't feel the need to lower her search window, even though she knew she would have to explain herself. Instead, she continues searching until Amanda catches her.

"Job searches?" She snickers low, knowing Mrs. Valentine has a way of popping up at the worst times. "What the hell are you looking at Sera? We both know you're not going to leave me," she jokes, but her smile falters.

With a sigh, Sera turns her chair to face her best friend. "Don't you ever just get tired of things, A? Don't you just want a change? Do you ever feel like you have a destiny bigger than this?" She gestures to the space around her.

"More than a simple job, 401K, weekends and holidays off, and a team of doctors at your beck and call? No, I think we have it pretty stinking good here, girl. What more do you want?"

"I don't know," Sera mutters, "I just feel... bigger than this place. I want to feel more important, like my job actually means something. I want to feel like I'm a piece of something bigger than myself. I just sense I'm wasting my talents on this place."

"Sera." It's Amanda's turn to sigh. "If that's really how you feel, maybe you should leave. You've changed, and aren't happy here any longer. I don't want to keep you at this job for my own selfish gain."

"Well, when have I ever listened to you anyhow?"

"True."

"I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I jump off the cliff."

"Please don't jump off a cliff."

Sera cracks a smile. "Okay."

"Promise me you won't make any rash decisions."

"I promise—but something is going to happen soon. I can feel it."

"Just keep me in the loop."

"You got it—loop Amanda." Sera makes a check mark with her hand in the air.

"Okay. Now, let me get back to work before I have to job search, too."

Amanda leaves her best friend at her cubicle around the corner, glancing back only once. Sera contemplates what she would do without seeing her best friend everyday—maybe actually get some work done.

*

Her eyes gaze at the leather stitching of her steering wheel. She doesn't recall making the decision to come here, but Sera finds herself in the back parking lot of the coffee house. She must have subconsciously driven here out of habit while she was yet again distracted by her talk with Amanda. It was on her mind all afternoon, she found herself obsessing over it, as the patient names on her screen appeared to blur into one.

Forcing a deep breath, she convinces herself she must go inside, slips out of the car, and heads toward the front entrance. The side window comes into view; anticipation floods her veins as she sneaks a peek. A sigh escapes her lips when she notices Jack isn't there. With added assuredness, she walks inside. The blonde behind the counter wipes her eyes and shoots her a smile before asking for her order. Her green eyes are a little puffy like she's been crying. The bags under her eyes tell Sera it's been going on for a few days now. The barista turns to craft her drink, and she takes the time to admire the way the tips of her blonde ponytail form a perfect hot pink V. Sera has always wanted to have the guts to do something crazy to her hair, but, let's face it, she's the play it safe type of girl. When the barista turns to hand her the usual latte that always calms her soul, her eyes glisten greener than usual. It's crazy how the ugliest things can bring out the beauty.