Chapter Twenty Two : Sera Comes Clean

Once Sera gets her emotions in check, she places a call to Amanda who thankfully happened to be on lunch at the time the drama at work occurred. She told Sera everything seemed to be back to normal when she got back. All her co-workers were back to their annoying nosey selves asking her where Sera had run off. All was business as usual, except Gabe—no one seems to have seen him at all today.

Sera's fists clench against the steering wheel again, why her? Why is all of this happening to her? As her anger increases, her hands on the steering wheel begin to glow slightly. The power seemingly drawing from her increased feelings of frustration grows brighter.

Amanda is still babbling into the phone, Sera interrupts, "Uh, Amanda."

She grows quiet, "Yeah?"

"I can't come back to work."

"What? Why?"

"I'm a ticking time bomb. I don't know what I am capable of, I don't know how to control it."

"We can get through this together Sera, don't leave me."

"I'm not leaving you, I just can't work there anymore. Maybe I can find a position billing from home or something."

"Sera..."

"I know, I know, but, things are coming after me too. Wherever I am, no one is safe."

Amanda breathes heavily into the phone, "I just don't want to lose you."

"You will never lose me."

"Promise?"

"Promise." Sera breathes a sigh of relief.

One solution down, only a million more to go.

Sera starts her car and drives off toward home. Somehow, on her way there, she takes a detour. She can't seem to find the energy to explain her early appearance to her mother. She's debating on whether to call Nate when she is passes Jack's Coffee Bean. Something inside her is begging her to stop. She obeys, pulling into the parking spot right in front and heading inside.

Walking through the door, the aroma of coffee wafts toward her, and it seems to calm her nerves. Maybe it's Jack's psychic voodoo, that makes this place feel like home. Jack doesn't seem to be behind the bar today and surprisingly, she's disappointed. She had a feeling he had more to tell her. He had the answers she so desperately seeks.

She places her order with the skinny blonde with pink highlights before taking her spot in the green chair in the corner. Curled up in her chair with her latte in her hand, she stares out the window as her mind attempts to wrap itself around the day she's just had.

"Sera?" Jack calls from the hallway to his office.

With a forced smile, she replies, "Hey Jack." He takes a seat across from her and she can feel his eyes study her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." She lies. It must not have been that convincing because Jack is on his feet with his hand out for hers.

"Come, let's go to my office to talk." She allows him to take her hand and follows him down the hallway to the back. The nervous feeling she had around Jack has diminished. He would never hurt her on purpose. He welcomes her into his office. It's surprisingly modern. She's never been in here before; it just doesn't seem like Jack.

It's modern, sleek, glass bookshelves have shelves alternating randomly across the width of it. His desk is large and glass sits on curved, sleek, gunmetal posts. Also, it's neat. For some reason, Jack's Californian appearance made her think he should be more carefree and disorganized. Behind his desk sits a few filing cabinets and next to her is a black leather couch. Jack takes a seat on the couch and motions for her to have a seat next to him. She does so, but for some reason avoids eye contact by keeping her eyes on her hands in front of her.