Chapter Twelve: The New Guy

The dirt crunches under her feet deep in the folds of the jungle. The heat radiates down from above making it hard under the thick foliage to escape the singeing sun. Sweat pours down her forehead and into her eyes. She lifts a large green leaf out of her path and continues on her way. The sounds of the jungle around her are familiar, but the path she's taking is not. Actually, now that she glances downward, there doesn't seem to be a path. A jungle cat roars in the distance, the dangerously beautiful call to his prey as he no doubt pounces in for the kill. Sera ducks under a low hanging vine into a tiny clearing between four trees. Gently placed on a leaf before her is something that doesn't seem to belong; a radiant purple butterfly. It takes off into the air, wings alive with color as it soars between the circle of trees. After a few seconds, it finds its way to Sera, dancing in circles around her. Its wings tickle her ear and float across her cheek before she realizes it's humming a tune. That's crazy, butterflies can't hum... and yet with every flap of its little wings, the melody escapes it. That melody, it's so familiar; a song that's always in the back of her mind. That song that sounds so familiar, but she doesn't know the words.

"What are you trying to tell me little guy?" She reaches her hand for it, and the butterfly spirals into a loop before spinning off through the woods. "Wait!" she calls, tumbling after it.

She follows it blindly through the dense forest, sometimes hopping over fallen trees, fighting with low hanging branches, and struggling to keep up with this stunning creature. A few times, she does lose it, but the humming always directs her back on track.

Without warning, the butterfly stops in a clearing of some kind. Sera peeks around, wincing at the blinding sun high in the sky. It appears as though she's entered an alternate universe. It's a meadow, no longer a dense jungle. It's brightly colored with flowers and thick moss.

"Oh, my," Sera whispers, eyes scanning their way over everything as she steps deeper and deeper. It's the most beautiful sight she's ever seen. The thick green moss cloaks large boulders around this meadow. To get a better view, she grabs onto the closest one and attempts to pull herself up. Her feet slip immediately. Kicking off her sneakers she tries again. This time her toes hook into little ridges of the rock allowing her to climb successfully to the top. Standing victorious atop the rock, she takes in the rest of the meadow. There are butterflies everywhere—all different colors of the rainbow and all vibrant as the sun above. They even seem to be humming the same song.

Sera draws deeper into this mysterious glorious meadow. Her bare feet hop from rock to rock trying not to disturb the flowers holding the butterflies. On her left, a pond comes into view. Lily pads litter the stagnant pond, which is host to some frogs. They croak in tune to the butterfly's hums.

This is a strange new world, she thinks as her purple butterfly comes flying up at her side once more. It swirls around her excitedly causing Sera to lift her arms before it skitters into a draping moss in front of her. Blinking a few times, she can make out that the moss is hiding something. It looks like... it's a cave. Suddenly, all the humming and croaking stops and the meadow grows eerily silent. Anticipation floods her veins; she glances around in alarm. What is going on?

From inside the cave, a snarl echoes out. The purple butterfly comes zooming out and takes refuge under the petals of a large sunflower. The ground beneath her rumbles causing her to slip to her knees. She can feel every step as whatever is in the cave is making its way out to her.

Climbing out of the cave in front of her very eyes is a huge golden dragon. She stares in shock, maybe even denial at the sight unfolding in front of her. Losing even more of her balance, she falls farther until the moss tickles her back. The dragon continues his approach roaring and snapping his jowls. Sera's eyes glance around for help, but now she is alone. All signs of the lively life have retreated. This was a trap. Gold wings extend from the dragon's back and with one final roar he jumps directly in front of her rock so that they are at the same eye level. All Sera can seem to focus on is those miraculously white teeth and how they can snap through her bones. He roars again tossing his head back, breaking Sera's intense glare. When he's facing her again, she meets his eyes. How can something so menacing have such calm, beautiful eyes?