Between Light and Darkness part one

The room is barren. The walls are a dirty white, the window is covered in grime and dust...only a single chair with two wings casts a shadow across the room; one wing with perfectly shaped and identical feathers, the other wing is destroyed.

Satoshi peers at the ceiling through his half-opened eyes, his fingers gripping his bed sheets until his knuckes turn as white as the walls.

"What a night." He murmers softly, staring through strands of dyed blue hair; the natural brown colour is beginning to reveal itself. "I'm just barely myself this morning." In his minds eye, he sees white wings, pale blonde hair, golden cat-like eyes...his fingers clench, then they go slack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Um, is Daiske here?" Daiske's mother stares down at Hikaru, a mischevious glint in her eyes. She nods and steps aside so that Hikaru is able to enter the house.

"In his room. First door on the left." 

"Thanks." Shouldering her bag Hikaru leaps up the stairs, her thoughts a whirlwind in her mind. I need Daiske to tell me once and for all the truth. I need him to say that he's Dark. Taking a second to catch her breath, Hikaru pauses before the door to Daiske's room. Yeah this is perfectly normal. It isn't wierd at all asking your best friend if he is the most wanted criminal who kissed you and then saved your friends from a unicorn painting. Yeah. Perfectly normal. She lifts her trembling hand to knock on the door when voices seep through from under the doorway.

"I wonder why Satoshi was in my dream like that." Oh geez. Daiske had a dream about Satoshi? Okay then...

"Hearing such denial!" Hikaru's eyes widen when Dark's voice echoes in her ears. She drops her hand and stares at the door.

"Huh?" Daiske inquires, sounding  just as confused as Hikaru feels.

"You're in love with Satoshi. Admit it!" Daiske makes a gagging sound and Hikaru shoves her fist into her mouth to prevent herself from laughing."So that means Risa's mine." Hikaru frowns. Oh yeah. Risa. I forgot that he asked her on a date.

"Just what the heck are you saying? Of course that isn't true! Why would you think I'm in love with Satoshi?"

Dark chuckles. "Looks like I struck a nerve!"

"No!" There is a crash and everything goes quiet. Feeling the anxiety expand within her at the intensity of the silence, Hikaru shoves the door open. Daiske is tangeled up in blankets, sprawled out all over the floor. Dark is no where to be seen. "Ah! Hikaru!" Daiske attempts to scramble to his feet but ends up tripping, "What are you doing here?"

"Where's Dark?" Daiske pales slowly.

"W-what?" Hikaru sighs in exasperation, her hands planted firmly on her hips.

"I was there last night Dai. I saw you turn into Dark. I heard those conversations I knew I shouldn't hear. Don't lie to me Daiske Niwa. I know the truth so just say it."

"Say...huh?"

"ARE YOU DARK OR NOT?" Daiske flinches away from Hikaru, his face flushing a deep scarlet.

"Yes...No...Ugh! I don't know!" From behind him, a little white bunny peers at Hikaru with wide red eyes. Hikaru furrows her brows.

"What do you mean you don't know?" Daiske kicks away the blankets and rises to his feet.

"I can become Dark but he is his own person and I am me."

"Well you could say it like that..." Hikaru's eyes scan the room expertly.

"Did you hear that?" She inquires, her gaze settling on Daiske.

"Hear what?"

"Dark." Even saying his name is enough to send the butterflies in her stomache crazy.