1.3

Tristan

Gabriel, Xander and Royce had gone. Now it was just me and Xael, my best friend and partner in crime. I sighed; now we could talk freely.

"That girl — did she mention her name?" Xael asked.

"That girl is my sister — and no, she didn't," I replied resentfully. I was vaguely upset with her response — I had hoped she would stay and I could get to know more about her. I had always wanted a sister, after all.

"Yes, well, that girl could be dangerous," Xael continued, snapping me out of thought.

"Did she look dangerous to you?" I asked, glancing at Xael and raising an eyebrow. Xael, looked at me with amusement, thinking.

"No," he said contemplatively, "but I could tell she's clever. And clever humans have a high potential to be dangerous."

"The thing is, is she human? If she's my sister, she's an angel, right?"

"She should be. But I couldn't sense it."

"Neither could I — all I felt was like a hole in my life had just been filled."

"Aww, how sweet."

"Shut up."

"Anyway," Xael continued, snickering, "I'm pretty sure she's human. I'm sorry, Tris, I know you've wanted a sister since you found out about your mother's miscarriage, but don't you think that the chance that your mother lying about the baby surviving and going to another family is too ... impossible?"

My stomach dropped. He was right. I was plucking at straws.

"Yeah. You're right," I said dejectedly. Xael instantly picked up on my sadness.

"But Tris, don't lose all hope. I mean, didn't you see that look on her face when she saw you up close? She felt it. She knew." My heart beat faster as hope bloomed again.

"Really, are you sure? What if she thinks she imagined it?"

"We will find her and convince her that it was true. We'll even prove it if we have to."

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

"Now don't get all misty-eyed on me, Tris," Xael said, one side of his mouth lifting up in a crooked smile. I laughed, my mood lifted.

"Xael?" I asked timidly. Xael looked wildly startled and said,

"Who was that? Couldn't have been Tristan because he hasn't talked to me like that since he was three." I snorted in response, but didn't expand.

After a few moments, Xael exclaimed, "Okay, what is it? You left me hanging." I breathed in, knowing he wouldn't like what I said.

"I want to go find her."

"What?" Xael questioned after a hesitation, lifting his eyebrows which matched his wavy brown hair. I knew that when he had said we could find her before, it was purely metaphoric to lift my moods up — but it had planted the idea in my mind.

"I want to find my sister. I can't lose her again," I said resolutely, my voice cracking slightly. Xael's hard gaze softened slightly, but that's when we heard it.

A loud, piercing, blood-curdling scream. Panic bloomed in my mind.

It was coming from my sister — who else could it be?

"I think we just found her," Xael murmured as we whipped out our wings and flew.