3.11

As soon as I walked into the entrance area, everyone exclaimed. I looked around in confusion; everyone, including Norman and Haliade, were standing near the massive wooden entrance doors.

"There you are!" Norman exclaimed.

"Why? What's going on?" I enquired.

They all parted to reveal a human that they'd frozen. A tall, beautiful black girl, her skin shining and her mouth open like she was saying something rude before she was frozen.

Which, of course she was — Silva never failed to swear at someone when they annoyed her.

I squealed.

"Silva!" I exclaimed joyously, running towards her. Her eyes moved, but the rest of her didn't. "Unfreeze her!" I said impatiently to Norman, who obeyed.

"Taz!" Silva screeched, throwing herself onto me. We stumbled backwards, laughing, and hugged each other tightly. I had last seen her at the party, which was only days ago — but felt like weeks.

"What the hell is going on?!" she said after we broke apart. She looked at the angels with disbelief — this was the first time that she had come across any of Angelkind.

"Don't worry, they're good," I reassured her.

"They feel strange," she whispered. She was talking about the icy, ethereal feeling — she was feeling it for the first time.

All the angels were looking at her apprehensively; but Xael was looking at me. There was something in his expression that felt terrible, but I couldn't tell what it was.

"Okay, er —" I started, trying to break the awkward silence, "let's go to my room and I'll tell you everything."

"Or you can show your human," Zahra interrupted, grinning at Silva. Not intimidated, Silva raised her brow at Zahra.

"How do I show her?"

"A spell. Say 'mitte memorias' and hold the human's hand, envisioning the memories you want to show her," Zahra told me. I scowled.

"The human has a name. It's Silva," Silva said bitter-sweetly.

"Also, I'm not an angel. I can't do spells," I told her.

"Trust me, babe," she grinned, "It'll work."

***

"The fuck?" Silva said as she entered my room. "This place is massive!"

"I know," I replied, sitting on my bed. She sat next to me.

"Give me your hand," I said. Silva looked at me disbelievingly.

"You're not actually trying that 'lil angel spell are you? Taz, you're human."

"Well ..."

"No fucking way!"

"Kinda."

"Explain!"

"If this spell works, you'll know what I know. Now give me your hand!"

Silva's astonished grin remained as she placed her hand in mine. I thought of the memories after the party up to now, and said,

"Mitte memorias."

Suddenly, my memories filed through my brain like a book. Without knowing how I knew what to do, I directed my focus to what happened after the party. Then, I sent the memories through my hand into Silva's hand and into her brain.

I watched her as she saw everything. Her expressions changed from fear, to sadness, to anger, to triumph, to sadness, to happiness — a million different emotions.

Finally, after twenty minutes, she opened her eyes.

"Whoa," she whispered.

"I know," I said.

"I don't know who I ship you with more: Xael or Amos?"

"Silva! Fuck you! Do not go there!" I tried to say sternly, but laughing instead.

"The reason I'm going there is because you wouldn't. You almost physically pushed those thoughts from your mind. So I'll talk about them!"

I laughed in exasperation and relief — Silva was acting so normal about this! I knew she must feel strange inside but she wasn't showing it.

"How can you cast these magical spells if you're not the Disguiser yet?" Silva asked.

"I have no idea," I mused. "Maybe my angel blood can do small spells, but not big ones."

"Yet," Silva added, and winked. "And, bitch, you better not replace me with your Zahra," Silva warned, mock threateningly.

"My Zahra?" I snorted. "She's no one's Zahra. and I'm never replacing you. Like, ever."

"Good," she smiled, and it lit up her face. I would never get tired of my best friend's smile. I grinned back.