6.3

***

I jerked awake. My eyes opened to darkness — but I heard a noise to my right. Sitting up and putting my glasses on sleepily, I looked.

The metal door was opening.

I groaned. Not this again.

Getting up and off my bed, I stumbled my way over to the door. What would happen if I just refused to leave my designated room?

I didn't have a chance to find out.

As soon as I peeked outside the metal door, my eyes adjusting to the blue-tinted lights, it started creaking shut. Startled, I jumped — right out into the hallway. I huffed as it shut and locked mechanically, then I started walking down the same hallways I did before.

However, when I reached the left and right turns, the left hallway wasn't lit by spotlights.

This time, it was the one on the right.

Suddenly, the robotic voice surrounded me again, bouncing and echoing off of the metal walls.

"The lights will lead you to your destination. Follow the lights to reach your destination."

"Oh, hell no," I groaned. Not this again. Turning right reluctantly, I began to follow the spotlights on the ground.

Knowing that Topaz was watching, I started talking.

"So, Topaz," I said conversationally, but poisonously.

"What are you gonna do this time? Play me a video of my family burning? I mean, I've heard the audio so it's only fair I actually see it. Why not ... unhinge me fully?"

Silence met my ears.

"You know, I've overcome that. That whole 'crap, my family's burning alive and I can't do shit about it' thing. It doesn't get to me anymore. When I made that fire in that room (which you so kindly locked me in), I was just angry at you and your little minions. I wasn't sad because of my family's death. So whatever you're planning, it won't work."

No doors or turns appeared on the left or the right. The corridor went on for as long as I could see, the cold, dull blue ceiling lights illuminating it along with the spotlights. Each footfall of mine made a hollow thump on the cold metal floor.

"And don't bother showing me Azroy and Ryseld. They're already dead."

All around me, I heard ... nothing. I tutted.

"Topaz, you're usually quite conversational. What happened? Don't you want to tell me any more stories you've spun on how bad the Leaders are?"

I knew, just knew that she was getting agitated. She obviously wanted to say something. Probably something like 'You know they're not stories' or 'I showed you proof' or 'I don't spin lies, this is the truth.' Or at least, 'Shut up, brat'. She wanted to defend herself but she couldn't. I knew I was getting on her nerves again, and it was satisfying me; but still, I heard silence.

"Aww, really?" I said, pouting. "I'm so bored and I'd love to hear more on how you believe the Leaders of Angelkind are evil."

Sauntering along the corridor, I smirked. I didn't know where Topaz was, but I slightly tasted chilli on my tongue, like I'd eaten something spicy. I naturally knew that the taste meant anger. She was angry, and I could taste it.

"Angry, Topaz?" I taunted. I knew she'd be astonished that I knew how she felt, but I didn't think there was much point in keeping this power from her. It was quite useless, unless I wanted to instigate someone; which I was already doing.