Part Two: Goddess-in-Training

Part 2: Becoming the Goddess

Chapter 5

~Amunet

Five days after the Choosing, I was gathered from my home by an escort of twenty guards. the head guard apologized, "We must take extreme saftey measures for the next Goddess."

I wonder what would happen if something did happen to me... Would they just go on? Wait another twenty years to pick another one? I fiddled with my hair that had been brushed to a silky perfection. I wore a white dress, similar to the one from the Choosing, except it faded to blue and had red rubies encrusted around the collar and waist. I also had a matching hair comb and sandals. is this how I will dress until it's time for another Goddess? What will happen after I'm done? I hope to ask Isis these questions soon.

When we finally arrive at the the Temple, I peek out of the curtain to discover that we aren't at the Temple at all! Instead, the escort had brought me to the Royal Palace! I calm my breathing just as the curtains are withdrawn, and the coach is lowered to the ground so that I can get out. I am offered about fifteen different hands to help me out, so I grab the closest one and nod thankfully. The hand squeezes mine and I look to see who the hand is attached to. I look through the eyeholes in the helmet and see a familiar pair of pale, baby blue eyes. Why are they so familiar?

Our eyes locked as he pulled me to my feet. I gave a small nod of my head and he winked at me. I could feel myself blushing slightly. I walked through the rows of guards, there for my security towards the open door at the front of the palace. When I entered, I felt and amazing blast of cool air hit me, and saw that a servant had begun to fan me when I walked in. I turned to her and thanked her, because it would be unbearably hot without it.

As I study the walls of the room I am lead to, the Hall of History and Pharohs, I get to an unfinished section with still-wet paint on the wall. I notice that the inscription describes Isis coming down from the Heavans in a swirling tornado, and also depicting her selection of Zahara as her Preistess, Ramia as the Temple's new oracle (the ex oracle wasn't too happy about that), and finally her choosing me as her successor.

I heard the tall doors of the Hall open with a loud creak. I spun on my heel to see who it was. It was the Pharoh, with the Crown Prince following closely at his heels.

It was obvious that they had been arguing over something, because Prince Ay's face was as red as fresh wine. The Pharoh cut off Prince Ay before he could say another word. He spotted me and sapped his fingers for the servants to leave. In a manner of seconds, the pharoh, the Prince, and I were alone.

"She is late." The Pharoh said. "You would expect a goddess to be punctual to a time that she sets!"

"Well," remarks the Prince hotly. "Maybe she is trying to be fashionably late, as some of the other leaders are."

They still haven't acknowledged my presence, except for when he made the guards leave. One of the wonderful perks of being a girl. I began to study the wall again out of boredom and curiosity. Their petty conversation soon became a mildly irritating buzz in the back of my mind.

Then everything becomes a little fuzzy... I wave my hand in front of my face, fuzzy. I look at the pharoh and the Prince, both silent, and watching me. then, between them, appears Isis with a finger to her lips telling me to be quiet. My vision clears and I blink rapidly to clear away the rainbow spots dancing on my retinas. She taps their shoulders and yells, "Boo!"

Who would have thought that goddesses could have senses of humor?

"Hello Sobekhotep IV, and Prince Ay. Nice to see you both again, even if it is in a rather somber cause." She sees the looks at the confusion on our faces and laughs. Her age shows through as she calm her laughing, and she appears to be older than the Pharoh. She has greying medium brown hair, and sun-spotted bronze skin, layered with fine wrinkles. Her eyes are the only young thing about her, which flitter with excitement at her joke that only she understood. "Oh yes." She seems to somber up before she continues. "When one god, or goddess in this case, chooses a successor to lead the culture, the rest of the gods must as well. Horus is the only god whom is simply reincarnated. All of the old myths recycle during one reign of a god or goddess, so for example, once all the rest of the gods have chosen, and you are all fully trained, we will love the rest of our then mortal lives in Egypt, while our successors take our thrones. The only gods who have not chosen yet are Osirus and Seth." {A/N~pronounced Set~}