Part 12: Affects and Effects

Chapter 20

~Isis~

I storm through Seth's doors, furious.
"Really?!" I shout, before I can even see him. "An earthquake?! I was in the middle of a very important lesson! I was teaching them how to read!" I looked around for him, but couldn't find him. I hear something move behind me. I spin around and smack right into him. I make a fist and punch him as hard as I can. Of course he dosen't move at all. So I try again, except this time I use magic to enhance my punch. This time he stumbles backward.
"Why?" I ask him. "Some of the villagers were hurt! Why would you do that?"
"I-" He starts to answer. "I don't know."
I turn on my heel and walk away from him.
"Jealousy." He says, almost so softly I couldn't hear it.
"What?" I turn back around slowly, taking my hand off of the door handle. "What did you say?"
"You heard me." He replies softly.
I just stare at him. He stares back.
"Are you jelous of- of me?"
He shakes his head furiously. "No, no. Not you. Someone else."
"Then why were you 'venting' on me?" I ask.
He says, "I'm sorry. It's not you, it's-"
"Who could make you do this? I know this isn't you." I interupt.
"Isis! I was about to say!" He shouts, but then gets quieter. "I can't tell you. You will find out soon enough." With that, he walks away from me.

***

I poke at the assorted fruits on my plate, occasionally nibbling them while listening to Nepythis gab on and on about how much she likes messing with the ships that sail down the Nile. I assume she must have asked me a question, because she jabs me, and says, "Have you even been listening?"
"Oh, yeah. Mhmm." I reply.
"Then what was I talking about?"
"How much you like to play with the boats in the water?" I ask.
"Ha! You weren't listening! I was talking about some of the rumors that are going around up here!" She remarks.
I roll my eyes. "What rumors?"
She giggles. "You mean you haven't heard? Osiris has to pick a wife!"
"Okay..." I say. "This has to do with me because..."
She smacks my arm. "I think he's going to pick you."
I roll my eyes at her again.
In an attempt to change the subject, "Do you want to go play a game of Senet in the common room?"
"Sure!" She says, as she bounces away. "Race you there!"
I smile. It is on! I turn myself into a kite, and fly as fast as I can. The transformation came easily and quickly now, and I didn't even really need to think about it. I fly over Nepythis's head and chirp at her. She laughs and speeds up. I land on one of the giant handles of the front doors and wait for Nepythis. She jogs up to the door, out of breath.
"You win, Isis." She says. "Although, you did cheat."
I transform back to my human, -er, godly self, and gasp, feigning offense. "Why, Nepythis. You never said no magic!" I smile as she laughs.
I swing open the large door, and we step into a completely dark common room. The fountains in the corner are off, and the room looks dull and grey. Dead. Nothing like the festive room that it usually is. Nepythis gasps and steps up beside me. I walk to the middle of the grand room, and then I hear something behind me. The fountain begins gurgling, and color seeps into the walls of the room. The color glimmers around the lamps and lights them up in blazes of different colors. The still grey doors to the common room open, and Osiris walks through.
"Isis." He says. "I was wondering if you might rule by my side when I ascend the throne from Ra?"
I gasp and take a step back. He steps forward.
"Osiris, this is..." I pause, not wanting to say something I would regret. "This is a very big decision. Can I have a few days to decide? To think about it?"
"Isis, as much as I would love to give you all the time in the world, I can't." He replies, solomnly. "I need your answer." He holds out a a beautiful necklace, enlaid with gold, emeralds, and opal, and clasps it around my neck.
I gently brush the intricate design with my fingertips.
"Okay." I say. "I am most definately crazy for saying this." I look him in the face. "Yes."