Chapter Two: Chance of a Lifetime

CHAPTER TWO

        CHANCE OF A LIFETIME

 'What seems to be the problem, gentlemen?'

The voice floated down from the figure on the glistening horse.

The merchant started and turned towards the sound. He bowed again and again as he spoke. 'My lord Keen, it warms my heart to see you, even at such a moment. My aides and I were just leaving the inn when lo! This scoundrel attacked us from the street!'

His vision clearing, Hughell's gaze fell on the standard worn by one of the riders; a golden peacock marching in a field of blue. In the neighbouring city, Coraman, the mark was practically a symbol of royalty.

'Is that so?' The man on the horse raised his eyebrows at Hughell. More a boy than a man, really, with the carefully groomed beginnings of a beard showing on his round cheeks and an impish glimmer in his eyes.

'Indeed!' The merchant wrung his hands together. 'Tried to murder one of my attendants, he did.'

As if on cue, the downed attendant let out a groan.

The other aides, who had been hanging back, went to assist him.

The young lord's eyebrows went even higher. 'Murder, you say? He didn't do a very good job of it, then.'

'Nevertheless-' the merchant sputtered.

'He must be dealt with,' the lord agreed. He glared at Hughell.

'Dealt with severely.'

Hughell swallowed as the lord raised his voice, addressing the crowd of onlookers.

'Be on your way, if you will. I shall attend to this... rapscallion.'

As he straightened his collar one more time, the merchant shot Hughell a triumphant look. He stalked back towards the Inn, leaving the aides to gather their downed companion.

Hughell's fists clenched. With no-one to fight, he had only words with which to defend himself.

He did not know why he had rescued Swatten. By all accounts the troublemaker deserved a good beating, several more besides. Even now he'd gone blundering back along the street, banging drunkenly on doors and swearing at the top of his lungs when no one came to open them.

But before Hughell could decide what to say, the lord began to laugh.

'Bravo,' he chuckled. 'An excellent show indeed. Tell me, oh warrior of the mud; who taught you to fight like that?'

Hughell blinked, mud dripping from his chin.

'Uh, no one, my lord,' he said at last, when he had found his voice. 'Very little has been taught to me. But one lesson I have learned: it pays to know how to win.'

The young lord dismounted with a flourish, then stood and scrutinised Hughell through narrowed eyes, all the while stroking his horse's neck. All at once he seemed to make up his mind.

'Come,' he said. 'Be my champion.'

Hughell's jaw fell open. 'What?'

The Lord Keen laughed at his confounded look, and continued.

'Fight my fights. Win and I shall pay you. Lose and I shall remember you no more. What say you?'

Hughell felt his heart begin to pound. What the man was asking of him was too huge, too unexpected, for him to take in. An opportunity to rise far beyond anything he could hope to achieve. Lord's Champion was a position of great opportunity - and immense risk. Injury, death, utter disgrace. All were possible; all stood before him now. Dare he say yes?