Chapter Ten: Cytra

CHAPTER TEN

        CYTRA

 'I see it!' Karver came bounding back over the hilltop, his inventory of pouches and tools clattering about him. He waved at the bedragled group of knights and escaped slaves and shouted again. 'I can see the city!'

At once, a cheer erupted. Everyone who was strong enough to stand rushed forward, eager to reach the top of the hill and catch their first glimpse of Cytra.

'There it is!'

'And there's the sea!'

'I see it too. We're nearly there!'

Before them spread a rolling sea of grass, billowing in the coastal breeze. 

A few miles away, on the very edge of the cliffs, the large town shone in the afternoon sunshine, a warm mix of sandy, earthy hues. 

Hughell let a sigh escape, feeling relieved even as the knot of anxiety doubled inside his stomach. These people knew that a welcome awaited them, but he had no such guarantee.

Nadoli spoke quickly to one of the other knights, who nodded and pointed towards the pack horse.

In seconds, Nadoli had pulled the water barrels from the horse's back. She leaped on, hugging tight with her legs as the pony broke into a stiff-legged gallop. The wind billowed across the dark green skirt and whipped her hair back in a wild spray as they sped away towards the city, towards her brother.

From the crest of the hill, it was downhill or level most of the way.

The litter Hughell was dragging picked up speed, sliding easily over the smooth grasses.

As the distance before them shrunk, his anxiety swelled. Would he be allowed to speak to the Sir Coryth? He needed to so desperately, yet what could he say to the man he had almost killed?

Cytra was a prosperous city. High sandstone walls surrounded it, guarding it from pirates who might seek to take advantage of its wealth.

But a small gate stood open in one side, and a man stood by it, waving them in. A small crowd waited in the courtyard, armed with food, bandages and medicines - and enough water to quench a small army.

'This way, lad.' The litter was torn, gently but firmly from Hughell's grasp. 

Someone took him by the elbows and guided him to the edge of the courtyard, away from the chaos.

'Take a seat by this wall here. Are you hungry?' A man bent over him, not seeming to notice that his hands were bound, that Hughell was a prisoner. 'Wait here.' The man disappeared for a moment, then reappeared, holding out a small loaf of bread. 

Hughell cradled the warm, fragrant crust in his hands and inhaled deeply, but he did not eat.

'You seem troubled,' the man said.

Surprised that the man had seen into him so clearly, Hughell nodded. 

'A man was brought here; Sir Coryth. Please, can you tell me what happened to him?'

The man was silent for a moment.

'Sir Coryth was beyond the help of Arrethtrae when he arrived. A ship has taken him to the Kingdom Across the Sea.'

Hughell hung his head, tears burning in his eyes. He let them come, weeping silently. 

When he looked up, the man was gone.

It was time. Summoning the last of his strength, Hughell stood and bent to step through the circle of his arms. In all the confusion, none of these strangers would notice if he borrowed a knife.