Chapter Thirteen: Old Enemies, New Allies

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

        OLD ENEMIES, NEW ALLIES

Tear-tracks marked her dusty cheeks, but Lady Nadoli's eyes were deadlier than ever.

For one instant, Hughell began to hope that she did not recognise him. His clothes were different after all; his whole stance and manner of walking had changed. A full beard covered his jaw, and although the reddish-blonde hairs were still a little sparse in places, he was a man now.

But after several, potent seconds he saw the realisation flash across her face, followed by a look of terrible conflict. He knew she had recognised him.

Without warning, Nadoli splashed into the stream and waded toward him, the blade stabbing the air in front of her as she came.

'Why are you here?' she asked, her voice frigid. 'Have you come to murder me, too? Or has your master sent you just to spy us out?'

She ducked sudenlt and lashed at the water, pelting a hail of droplets into his face and eyes.

Hughell flinched, then hurled the water-skin in return. His blade whipped free of its scabbard just in time to smack the first blow aside.

Not wasting an instant, she followed the first cut with another, straight towards his neck. Again, Hughell cast the stroke aside, though he felt the force of it and knew she was holding nothing back. He shifted backwards, spreading his feet in a defensive stance. 'Stop, Nadoli! I mean you no harm!'

'You lie!' but a shadow of doubt flickered across the woman's face. She gritted her teeth and plunged toward him, exploding into a hurricane of cuts and slices.

Hughell deflected each one without a falt, the training of the Prince fuelling his every move.

Sweat broke out across his forehead, but he refused to give ground. The stream was littered with treacherous stones and a single slip-up could cost him his life. But with each second the struggle was prolonged, he risked harming her as well.

The fight had to end. Now. 

Hughell's blade lashed out to deflect a slice. Just then his opponent slipped, dropping her head toward the cut. As they drew apart, breathing hard, a lock of blonde hair drifted down.

Her eyes darted after it, widening with shock as she realized how close she had been to losing her neck, or her face, to the razor edge of his steel.

Before she could recover, Hughell dropped to his knees amid the stones. He held out his blade hilt-first, the sign on the pommel marking the air between them.

'I am here for one reason,' he said, 'and that is the grace of the Prince. You need not fear me.'

Nadoli's mouth opened. Her blade lowered, the tip slicing a groove in the water's surface. For one last moment, her face looked torn. Then her shoulders drooped and all the fight went out of her eyes.

'He got to you,' she said. 'I do not understand... how this can be.'

'I met Him,' said Hughell, simply. 'He saved me, though I did not deserve it.'

Nadoli looked at him for a long time, her eyes searching deep within his. Then she said, in a weak voice. 'I see it.'

Her hands shook as she sheathed her sword and turned and waded back toward the bank.

Hughell regained his feet and splashed after her. 'Please,' he said. 'I won't ask you to forgive me, only let me serve you, in whatever way you choose.'

'No!' Lady Nadoli stopped, her back to him, shocking him with the tone of her voice.

'I forgive you. What's more, I forgive the boy who caused such hurt those many months ago, although it can hardly be that you and he are the same person. It does not seem possible.'