Chapter Four: The Duel in Dogger's Yard

CHAPTER FOUR

        THE DUEL IN DOGGER'S YARD

Hughell stared down the blade of his long knife at his opponent. Cloudy breaths filled the air between them. It was bitterly cold, but Hughell could feel the sweat oozing from his pores.

The man coughed, a short, sharp bark that bounded strangely off the stone walls and echoed back across the muddy ground, to where the two combatants stood frozen.

Dogger's Yard was situated towards the outskirts of the city, opposite a disused slaughterhouse. Its patchy cobblestones and mud-filled ruts bore the occasional trace of blood, a testament to the years of butchery, but more recently the many duels fought within its walls. In one corner of the square stood a naked tree, its straight grey branches stabbing the mist like spears.

Hughell darted forward suddenly, feigning attack, but stopping just short of reach.

Behind him, he heard a hiss. Idon was watching from the edge of the square, fingers locked around the reigns of his chestnut mare.

Hughell made another sudden movement, muscles taught, studying his opponent’s reactions.

The man was tall and squarely built, with streaks of grey mingled with the black of his beard. He seemed capable enough, but a little sluggish, as though he had not been called to do this for a while, nor had been expecting to. At least, that's how it appeared. There was a chance the man was faking it, saving his true skills for later in the fight.

Hughell relaxed his tense muscles for an instant and shuffled his feet on the muddy stones.

Suddenly, he attacked, the blade sizzling through the mist towards his opponent.

Cold steel collided as the man blocked.

Hughell lashed out again. Once more the knives met and shivered off each other. This time, Hughell felt a rush of air as a blade sizzled past his arm.

The man aimed a thrust to the ribs, but Hughell pivoted on one foot, letting the strike continue past. As the man recoiled, Hughell's hand shot out in a lightening storke.

Both knives clattered to the ground.

Once again, the two fighters faced off, breathing hard.

Hughell's heart pounded in his chest. He had managed to disarm his opponent, but the knives still lay close at hand. If either man happened to catch hold of one before the other was able to, the fight would be over in seconds.

'What are you waiting for?' came a snarl from the far side of the square, where the Idon's brother stood, surrounded by his attendants. 'Finish him!'

The pause continued. Five seconds, ten.

Hughell could see the man's eyes darting, from him to the knife and back again. Measuring the distance. Weighing the chances.

They dove at the same time.

This time, their arms locked. The man's skull collided with Hughell's chest, sending the youth reeling backwards.

He hit the ground and coiled, knees to chest, As the man fell on top of him, he lashed out with both feet..

The full force of the blow caught the man just below the ribs.

Hughell scrambled to his feet, ready to follow up with another attack, but the man was doubled over, clutching his stomach in both hands.