PROLOGUE

Located just north of the Canadian border was a small town called Meadow. With a population of just two thousand, Meadow was barely on the map, practically unheard of. You may not even know it existed unless you were told. You would probably drive right through it without even noticing. A little town with a big lake and a plethora of trees. And churches. Meadow was known for its churches.

The summers were hot and short, and the winters were cold and long. The people of Meadow spent their days either cuddled up by the fireplace, or bundling up for Sunday morning service. The economy wasn't the greatest and was driven by two main factors. The first was the strip-plaza located just off the freeway. It consisted of a restaurant called Frenchie's, which served the best burgers and shakes in town, an outlet store, and a post-office. People driving through southern Ontario would often stop by the plaza while en route elsewhere. Grab a quick bite to eat, shop around, mail a letter.

The fisheries were the only other sole contributor to the economy. Each summer, the men would rally in as much fish from Meadow Lake as they could, slicing them up and freezing them for winter. It was, after all, the main source of both food and income. Kept the townspeople satisfied until the lake thawed once again in April.

Nothing monumental happened in Meadow. It was, you could say, quite the sleeper town. The most commotion they ever saw was the night that St. Andrew's Protestant Church burnt down in the fall of 1991. And after that, nothing was quite the same ever again.

But you're not here for the church stories or for Frenchie's milkshakes. You're not even here for Meadow. You're here for those two girls. You're here for the summer of 1991 – the summer where it all began. The two girls who were anything but extraordinary, but somehow managed to leave their mark and make a world of difference. Their paths crossed, their lives intertwined, their stories unveiled.

Well, not quite. Their story has never been told. Until now, that is.