SIXTEEN: HOPE

Hope was ecstatic. Here was a gift from God himself, presented in the form of a girl. When Hope looked at this girl, she saw potential. Faith-from-out-of-town was clearly troubled. She lacked belief and needed some brushing up on her religion. But it was nothing that Hope couldn't fix.

With great glee and pleasure, Hope took Faith under her wing and brought her along to each activity, ensuring that she was always occupied with something. Faith became her assistant of sorts – a shadow. In Hope's eyes, she was doing this girl a favour. Faith would thank her one day for opening her eyes and showing her the light.

Aside from this spontaneous surprise, Hope was feeling worn down and exhausted. She was up half the night, tossing and turning in bed, overthinking everything. Her mind was so busy and occupied that she simply could not rest. The entire world was spinning around in her brain, and nothing she did could make it cease. Plus, due to the fact that Felicity would be absent this week, Hope was going to have to pick up all of her duties, on top of her own, and work twice as hard. There was so much to be done.

Faith echoed this proclamation. "This is exhausting," she said, yawning.
"Only sometimes," Hope said, picking up the toys from the yard. The five-to-tens had just completed their outdoor time and had left the place a complete disaster.
"I'd much rather be in bed," Faith said. "Napping."
"Do you nap often?"
"Sometimes. If I'm tired."
"I can never nap," Hope told her, picking up another toy. "Too much to be done."
Faith gave her a funny look. "What, you mean to tell me that you've never napped?"
Hope shook her head. "I've tried, trust me. Sometimes I get really tired during the day. But every time I lay down and close my eyes, my mind starts thinking of everything that I have to do. Everything that needs to be done. And so I just get up and do it."
"That's strange."
"Not really. I quite enjoy being kept busy."
"Not the part I was referring to."
"Anyways," Hope continued. "Your mother seems to think you're quite a delinquent. Care to explain?"
"Not really."
"You don't seem all that bad."
Faith laughed. "Well, thank you, I guess."
"You're welcome." Hope picked up another toy and placed it in the basket. "How are you adjusting to Meadow? Do you enjoy it yet?"
"No," Faith scoffed. "It's awful here."
Hope looked at her. "You don't mean that."
"I do. I'm sorry. It's just not the place for me."
"You still miss home."
"Obviously."
"Are you from the city?"
"Somewhere in between."
"Do you consider yourself more country, or city, then?"
"Neither," Faith said. "I just am where I am."
"That doesn't make sense."
"A lot of things don't make sense."
Hope nodded, unsure of what to say next. "Well, that's all of them. Ready to head back inside? We can monitor the arts and crafts room."
"Sounds exhilarating!" Faith turned around and began heading back towards the church.
Despite Faith's lack of authentic enthusiasm, Hope couldn't help but smile.

______

It was just after three o'clock and they were nearly done for the day. All of the participants had left the building, and all that remained were the staff. Hope was cleaning up and organizing, talking to the rest of the counselors. She glanced over and saw Faith sitting on a chair in the corner. Hope hesitated, then made her way over.

"You haven't left," Hope remarked.
"I didn't think I was allowed to."
"Oh, so now you follow rules?"
"I didn't want to get in any more trouble than I already am," Faith said. "Who knows what she might do next – enroll me in night classes?"
Hope stared at Faith, examining her, deciding what to say next. "What are you doing right now?"
"Sitting here, talking with you."
"So, nothing?"
Faith shrugged.
"Come on, then," Hope grabbed her hand and helped her up. "We're going on an adventure."
"Oh dear God."