"That's No Way to Speak to Your Mother"

POE

Poe hurried down the ship's corridors with Rey at his side. His hand still felt warm from her touch. He'd never held a girl's hand before, which he would never admit to anyone. It wasn't something he would have normally done, but she'd grabbed his jacket, reaching for him as though she needed some sort of connection.

He was just a stand-in, he knew, for Kylo Ren. He shouldn't encourage her, when she seemed so needy. He'd hugged her in the past, but now in her quarters, even a simple hug seemed like a dangerous thing to do. When she'd let go of his jacket, as though giving up, he took her hand. He had to let her know he'd be there for her in any way she needed. He probably should have just made a joke or started talking about the current mission or something. He did let her hand go, when they stepped out of the room and were confronted with the guards. Rey used her Force influence to convince them she was allowed to leave, which was impressive and slightly eerie to witness.

"Poe?" Rey waved her hand in front of his face and he blinked. They'd stopped walking and he hadn't been paying attention to where they were going. "Which way do we go, left or right?"

He looked up at the sign above. Corridors B2-S28 - 38 ran to the left.

"Left," Poe said and they started walking again. The ship still smelled of new plastic and fresh paint, as though the luxury cruiser had been built only yesterday. They took another turn and this time the wall to the right was lined with windows which ran all the way down the hall, opening up the place and making Poe feel less claustrophobic. Outside, the expanse was filled with colourful gasses. They lit the opposite wall in shades of pink. The ship wasn't moving, which made Poe unsettled, like they were a sitting target. He liked to always be moving.

"Are you sure they're still having the meeting?" Rey said. They were running late, since Poe had insisted they eat first.

"We'll find out soon enough," he said, picking up his pace.

"If Kylo Ren decides we're his enemies," Rey continued. "Then we don't stand a chance. We're a bit outnumbered here."

Poe frowned. She was losing her confidence, which seemed to happen whenever she was around Kylo Ren.

"You underestimate Leia," Poe answered and Rey smiled in response. They slowed as they neared the Command center, then stopped in the entrance way. General Leia was speaking to the room full of commanders. She had everyone's attention, including Hux's. Poe ushered Rey to a seat near the back. There was only one left and he offered it to her.

"Poe Dameron," General Leia said, looking at him. He stood straighter. "Is one of the best flight captains in our fleet." All heads turned to him and Hux's expression soured. Poe gave a tiny salute.

"And First Order, Elite Special Forces fighter pilot, Commander Hament," General Leia continued, pointing at the pilot who'd helped her and Poe escape from the Ruling Order space station. "Will be leading our flight crews, along with Captain Dameron, on this mission."

"General," a metallic voice said. Phasma stood at the front of the room, off to the side. She'd been so still that Poe had overlooked her as part of the ship's décor.

"Yes?" Leia and Hux answered at the same time.

"The stormtroopers, how will they assist in this invasion?"

General Leia nodded to Hux and he spoke. "We'll be needing more bombers and destroyers for this attack. As far as we know, all of these vessels have been compromised and we will need troops to go on board and regain access to their main systems control, to deactivate the virus."