Transcript: Session 4 - Layla Keegan

Layla Keegan - Case History

Session 4

Transcript:

Dr. B: Good afternoon, Layla. How are you today?

[No reply. Note: Layla did nod her head in acknowledgement.]

Dr. B: After last week's session, I feel like we're beginning to make good progress. And, if it's okay with you, I'd like to try and talk about what happened back in April. [Brief pause] Is that okay with you?

[No reply - silence, approximately 20 seconds]

Dr. B: You didn't find the counselling, organised by the police, helpful, I'm told. After Kelly died.

[Brief silence]

Dr. B: Would you like to talk about what you discussed during those counselling sessions?

[ No reply - silence, 1 minute approximately]

Dr. B: What I'm saying is, I'm here to try and help. I don't know how long this will take. But if we keep making progress, you may not have to attend for that long.

[Silence]

Dr. B: Or, if you feel that you want to continue to attend, if you feel that these sessions are helpful, then we can look to extend them.

[ No reply - silence, 30 seconds approximately]

Dr. B: I'm here to help you, Layla.

Layla: Just leave me alone, then.

Dr. B: I can't do that, I'm afraid. This is a serious situation. The way you responded to Kelly's death, the way you responded to the police...Well, that's why your mother agreed to send you here, to help you. She wants to see you get better.

Layla: She wants the police to clear my name of any blame. That's all she's interested in. She doesn't care about my well-being.

[Brief silence]

Dr. B: Well, they do need to eliminate you from their enquiries. They say you were uncooperative, that the counselling didn't help. They say that they also need an accurate and detailed witness statement. You do understand that don't you? If we can make progress here, it will help you. Help with the police, too.

Layla: Police say they need a lot of things. They say a lot of things. Mostly lies. It's what they do best.

Dr. B: Can you tell me why you mistrust the police so much?

Layla: They try to trick you, confuse you. They always lie. Try and trap you, get you to say things you didn't actually say.

Dr. B: Can you give me an example of how they did this?

[No reply - silence, 30 seconds approximately]

Dr. B: Can you think of why the police might not believe what you said happened that day?

[Brief silence]

Layla: I haven't told them what happened. There's nothing to believe or disbelieve. I told them I don't remember.

Dr. B: Perhaps we can talk about what did happen, then. I know it's difficult for you, but please try. Once you've addressed this issue, then perhaps you won't feel the need to come anymore.