Meeting The Sandlot Boys

-Natalie's P.O.V-

Summer was near. Just two more days. Over the past 2 weeks I finally made some friends and the school accepted me. Scotty has been going out for the past four days, arriving home at about 5:30pm each day. Mom and dad probably thought he was doing drugs or something because he never did tell us where he was going. I was currently sitting on a swing that we had in the backyard under a tree, just watching everything around while I was reading my book. It was about 7:00 in the morning so it wasn't very hot yet. The door swung open making me jump a little but I relaxed after I seen it was just Scotty and my dad with a ball and glove. I put my book down watching how this would go, considering Scotty isn't the best thrower or catcher.

After dad was getting frustrated he simply said "If the ball moves, move your glove. Got it?" This was getting sad to watch so I continued reading my book until I heard multiple "Ow's." I helped dad bring Scotty in, sadly, he had gotten a black eye. Dad put a steak on his eye and I sighed "I wanted that for dinner." I said while pouting a bit. "Just hold it up there. Nice and hard. Press it against-- Yeah." Dad said while standing up. "I just took my eye off the ball, Mom." He said casually with the steak on his eye. "Yeah, but you caught it." "Yeah, with you face." I added in, getting a hush from mom and dad. "Just keep that on for, like, an hour. It'll still be black, but it won't swell." "Sorry. Just gotta watch out for that curve." I just shook my head and went upstairs to change out of my pajamas.

An hour later Scotty was sitting outside on the porch, I think crying? I sat next to him trying to comfort him. I actually really liked Scotty for my brother, even tho he's kinda a booger. "Hey."

I looked up to see Benny, the guy  that's in most of my classes at school. "I'm gonna play some ball. We need an extra guy. You wanna go?" He said while looking at my brother. "No. Thanks." He said plainly. "Why not? Don't you like baseball?" "Oh, yeah, but--" " But what?" "But my glove-- it's busted." I looked at his cheapo plastic glove. I wrapped my arm around his neck, not in a deadly choke, but as in like a little hold. "Uh, see?" Now I can't go. Thanks, though." "It's okay. I got an extra one." Wow, he seems really nice. I stood up and dusted my shorts off. "Come on. Let's go." he said already walking away. "Mom, I'm gonna go play some ball! I'll be back in a little while!" "Okay! Bring Natalie with you!" She shouted from somewhere inside the house. Benny noticed me standing there and gave me a warm smile. Wow, he was really really cute. 

Benny, Scotty, and I were walking to one of the stores near the neighborhood. We came up to 7 guys who were sitting in the parking lot on top of  some upside down trashcans and crates. I recognize them from school. The redhead starting talking "And I'm Babe Ruth. Listen. Ready? Check this out. I'm the Great Bambino." He had a cigar that looked like bazooka bubblegum in his mouth, so we obviously had no idea what he was saying, "What?" They all asked at the same time. He repeated and they asked 'What' again. "I'm the Great Bambino." He said taking the bubblegum cigar out of his mouth. "Ohhhhhh." They all said in sync. Then Scotty said the stupidest thing ever. "Who's that?" The guys started bitching and I just shook my head at him. "Oh, yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course. I thought you said, "the Great Bambi." That was the worst save ever. "That wimpy deer?" The redhead asked. "Yeah. I guess. Sorry." He said quietly.

"Anyway, Scott, that's Timmy and Tommy Timmons, Mike "Squints" Palledorous, Alan McClellan-- we call him Yeah-Yeah--, Bertram Grover Weeks, Kenny DeNunez, and Hamilton Porter. We call him Ham. Guys, this is Scott Smalls and his sister....-" Benny trailed off while the boys spat after her said each of their names. "Natalie" I said. "Nelly." he repeated. I gave him a weird look. "Dude seriously." I said shaking my head at him. "eh, it suits you" he said while shrugging. "Hey, I know you, don't you go to Fresh Valley Middle?" Squints asked. I slowly nodded my head. "Yeah yeah, you hang with Wendy. You have a rockin' bod'." Yeah Yeah said while chuckling as the others started agreeing. My eyes widened at what he said, so did Benny's. "Yeah, um, well, he's gonna play with us 'cause he makes nine. Now we've got a whole team. We're wasting time. Let's go to the sandlot." Benny said while changing the subject and walking away.