Prologue

She looked out of the window, gazing at the little birds chirping, the trees moving by the slight breeze through the calm morning skies and across the lake sprawled in all its mightiness, and tried to sink in everything

She looked out of the window, gazing at the little birds chirping, the trees moving by the slight breeze through the calm morning skies and across the lake sprawled in all its mightiness, and tried to sink in everything. The calm morning was reassuring, and she didn't want to look away.

She was going to miss all of this.

For years, this had been her home, her comfort, and her safe place, when she had once lost everything that ever mattered to her. Her bedroom was where she lay, during her most difficult times and had found peace. This was where she received love when she thought there wasn't any left, anymore.

She tore her eyes away from the window and looked around. There in the corner, sat the PS 3 she'd received from her parents as a birthday gift when she'd turned 13. And next to it, lay a pile of magazines related to recent trends in car and motorcycles. As a child, she always loved everything in a boy's world, right from playing video games, to going crazy over new bikes and cars. She had several posters of various cars, bikes, and her favourite music bands. She often wondered if that was why her life was so different from the other girls she'd met.

At the other corner of the wall were several pictures plastered. In one of them were two girls who had their hands over each other's shoulder. The younger of the girls clutched tightly onto her sister, who was at least three years older and taller than her. Both of them were laughing and looked cheerful. They were overlooked by a couple, who held hands and looked lovingly at their children.

If this could only be easier, she thought as she looked at the picture, which was one of her favourites.

She felt her throat constrict and tears beginning to form as she reminisced about the days spent there, with her parents and her sister, and what lay ahead for her. For a moment, she felt like she didn't want to go, didn't ever want to leave her home and her family.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the knocking of the bedroom door. The elder sister in the photo, now a little older in appearance, stood in the doorway a moment later.

"Aren't you going to come down for breakfast? Mama and Daddy are waiting for you downstairs", said Julia.

"Yeah, I'll be down in a minute. I was just..uh.. checking my bags", she said, bending down and pretending to look in her bag. She didn't want Julia to think that she was having second thoughts about leaving. It was harder as it is, and she didn't plan on making it any harder for her family.

But her sister seemed to know exactly what was going on in her mind. She sat down next to her on the bed and looked up at her.

"Al- ", Julia started, but was interrupted by her sister.

"You know you can't keep calling me that now", said her sister.

Julia let out a sigh. "You're right, Sarah."

For a moment, they just looked at each other. Then, with a comforting smile, Julia held her sister's hands.

"Hey - I know why you want to do this, and I understand how hard it must be for you. Even though I don't exactly approve of the plan, I'm always with you. I know you are a strong woman capable of making your decisions. And to tell you the truth, I don't think I'd even be heading out if I were you. And that's what makes you so brave and special. I'm really proud of you."