Chapter 3 - Into the Hole

She was not sure what woke her up

She was not sure what woke her up. Maybe it was the dazzling sunlight which lit her room brightly, as she had forgotten to draw the curtains the previous night. Or maybe it was the racket that the neighbors were making again. It had been like that since the day she'd moved in, and she still hadn't gotten used to it.

She rolled over in her bed, not wanting to get up so early in the morning. But sleep didn't come to her. She popped an eyelid open and checked the time. It was 7 am.

Finally giving up, Sarah got up and dragged her feet across the room to the bathroom. She examined her reflection in the mirror. Her blond hair was all over the place, sticking out at odd angles. She managed to smooth her hair and tied it up in a ponytail. She splashed her face with water to remove all traces of sleepiness.

Dabbing her wet face with a towel, she quickly put on her workout clothes and shoes. She had discovered her love for exercise when she was very young. She had constantly been working out since then, as a result of which her self-confidence had flourished. It had even influenced her to join a Martial arts class a few years back and she now prides herself on being close to an expert in it.

She was suddenly reminded of her sister. Her sister shared her love for exercise and they always competed against each other to prove their superiority over the other. Sarah had won more times than she could count and had never failed to rub the fact on Julia's face every single chance she got. Thinking about her brought a smile to Sarah's face.

Brushing away her thoughts, Sarah began to hit the punching bag hanging from the ceiling of her bedroom. She concentrated all of her energy on the punch, which helped to clear her mind. After an hour of intense hitting, jumping and lifting weights, she was done.

She was halfway through breakfast when there was a loud beep from her phone. She retrieved the phone from the table and checked it. She'd received an email from Harper Inc.

Suddenly, she felt excitement course through her veins.

This is it.

She opened the email and read it.

Miss Sarah Brooks,

Welcome to Harper Incorporation!

It gives us great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to work in our company as an executive assistant to our CEO, Mr. Robert Harper. We are looking forward to having you working for our esteemed company.

Please go through the documents pertaining to the rules and regulations of the company, a copy of which is attached to this e-mail.

Also, please let us know when you can start working with us. We hope you join us at the earliest.

Regards,

HR Manager

Harper Inc.