Chapter 1 - Harper Inc.

The cool breeze of Seattle brushed against her face as she looked at the city flashing before her eyes

The cool breeze of Seattle brushed against her face as she looked at the city flashing before her eyes. In her anxiousness, she took little notice of the beautiful sight that the city was. Her mind was completely on the interview that was about to take place in less than an hour.

Will she be able to pull it off? Was she ready to vanquish her anxiety with confidence? Even if she managed to do so, what if someone else outperforms her?

No, she told herself firmly. She shouldn't be thinking about that. Not when she was minutes away from possibly getting the job she so badly wanted. Moreover, she'd had months to prepare and had learnt almost everything there was to learn about the company and the man who owns and runs it. There couldn't possibly be anything that could go wrong now.

I should be more worried about what comes next.

Her thoughts moved to her family. When she'd first told them about her plan, they were very distressed and unconvinced. Who lets their daughter take on such a dangerous route? But, when Sarah told them how important it was to her, and promised to take care of herself, they were supportive and understanding. Several discussions later, they had managed to come to terms with it.

Even though her house was a few miles away, she felt like her parents and her sister were constantly by her side. With that comforting thought, she reassured herself that no matter what happens, she could always go home to them.

Immersed in her own thoughts, it was only when the taxi driver called her, that she noticed the car had stopped.

"We're here, Miss."

"Oh, yeah." She pulled out a couple of notes from her bag. "Here's your money. Thank you for the ride", she smiled at him. As the taxi left, she turned to the building that stood before her. It had a huge name board on top which read 'Harper Incorporation'.

No matter how many times she'd reassured herself, the jitters always came back.

Harper Incorporation was one of the best beverage manufacturing companies in the country. They were well-known for their wide range of soft drinks, chocolates, and cookies, and were among America's favourites. It was headquartered in the city of Seattle, but they had several branches spread across the entire country.

The building she was looking at was enormous and the exteriors were exquisitely designed. With at least thirty floors, it formed a massive silhouette against the clear blue sky. People were bustling in and out of the building, hurriedly glancing at their watches.

This was where it all happened.

She closed her eyes and all the dreadful memories filled her mind. No matter how hard she tried to forget them or ignore them, she couldn't. It only fueled the anger inside of her.

This was where her whole life came crashing down.

And the only place where answers could be found.