Prologue

"Have a nice day!" You waved at the businessman who took his medium-sized hot coffee and left. You sat back down onto the stool behind the register and rubbed your forearms, shivering slightly from the cold. It was winter after all, and it snowed recently. More like stormed. Even if the heater was working inside the cafe, it was still cold. To you, at least.

You scanned what was left of the cafe to see some people enjoying their hot beverages from all different ages, trying to escape the cold outside. You saw a couple enjoying their meal together and questioned your own love life but that was easily pushed out your head when you thought of University. Winter break was slowly coming to an end and you had already finished up any work needed for any of your professors. You also remembered that it's almost time to pay rent, and thankfully you're getting your paycheck before that. You would have chosen to dorm at your University but knowing the little amount of cash you had, an apartment was a better choice. The rent for your apartment was better than dorming and was not too far from your University. A perfect win-win situation. Although, you were struggling to get more money to provide for yourself.

A yawn escaped your lips before a voice spoke up next to you. "You tired?" Your attention went up towards the male who leaned on the counter while staring back at you, wearing the same colored apron as you did. Jackson Moore. His messy brown hair framed his face and his chocolate brown eyes stared back into yours. He attends the same University as you did and he was two years older than you, him already on his last year of University. You were only on your second.

"Is it obvious?" You asked, your hands going up to rub your eyes. You were sure there were dark bags under your eyes after staying up late playing video games. Man, you really need to stop staying up late doing that.

"Yeah, your eye bags are noticeable. To me, at least. Ease up on the video games, will you?" He grinned.

"Look who's talking. You tend to stay up as well and you bug me to play with you."

"I didn't last night though! I had a good night's rest," He pointed out, his head held high with pride. "Plus, it's my last year in Satellite, cut me some slack. You still have two more years of suffering, good luck."

"Don't remind me," You rubbed your temple and sighed. Satellite University sure doesn't know how to cut some slack. It was work after work. Plus, midterms were coming up after this. It wasn't too much of your concern, thankfully, since your grades are pretty decent and you study a lot when needed.

"If I don't, who will?" He chuckled and placed his hand on top of your head, rubbing his hand over it and messing up your hair that stuck up in different directions when he was done.

You sent him a glare and patted your hair back down. You checked the time and your eyes brightened up almost immediately, standing up from the stool. Jackson raised a brow and you turned over to him, sending him a thumbs up with a straight face, "Good luck. My shift is over for the day."

"What? You're kidding me! Don't leave me alone here in the cold!" He whined, looking at you pleadingly.

"You have the other coworkers and the boss here, you won't be lonely," You sent him a small smile while taking off the apron, heading towards the back for staff only. You headed towards the locker assigned to you that held your coat, placing the apron there and taking your protection against the cold. You put on the coat and felt warm already, heading towards the front. Jackson was still pouting and you waved at him, in which he waved back with comical tears streaming down his face. You placed your hand on the door and opened it, allowing the cold to embrace you.