Chapter 3: Sprouting Wings

Bringing your hands down and opening your eyes, you weren't expecting to see a blue barrier around the shrine that thankfully covered you too. A whimper was heard and you saw the Vice who most likely came into contact with the barrier.

"You dare approach my shrine?! Filth like you deserve to die!" The same voice shouted. You looked up and saw a pair of black wings. A man with red eyes that glared harshly at the creature and long black hair in a braid flapped its bird-like wings. His outfit was very traditional and in his hand was a traditional fan that seemed to be made of feathers. The fan radiated the same blue color as the barrier. Pointing the fan at the creature, the creature ignited with blue flames and screeched. You covered your ears from the horrifying sound. The Vice burned to dust and with a flick of the man's wrist, the last remains floated away with the wind. The second Vice scurried away quickly at the death of their companion. He descended down and his outstretched wings came back to him, "What disgraceful creatures."

The barrier around you slowly disappeared and you stood up while looking at the man. He turned around and blinked, almost as if he just realized you, "A human? When was the last time I saw one of those creatures?"

You were forced to lean back when his face leaned towards yours. His glowing red eyes observed you closely and you felt uncomfortable. Taking a step back, you spoke, "Who are you?"

"And the creature speaks!" He exclaimed but you then saw him smirk. "Who am I, you ask? Well, human, I am Saburou, guardian of the Shinrin Shrine! Do not group me with those unsightly creatures! I am a Tengu with honor and morals!"

What can you call this man?

He was...

...

...Obnoxious.

Turning his attention back to you, he spoke, "Who may you be? Are you here to intrude on my shrine and destroy it? Did you purposely lure that fiend to my shrine for hidden intentions? You have such mysterious clothes on..."

"Um, no. I was being chased by it, but thanks for saving me," You couldn't help the animated sweat drop to form comically on your head while answering this man. Seriously, what age is he living in? It's already 20XX! "I'm [Name], [Name] [Last Name]."

"[Name], [Name] [Last Name], what a peculiar name..." He placed a hand under his chin in a thinking motion. He then blinked, "I saved you? That wasn't my intention. My shrine was in danger. I could care less if you had been attacked."

"I would still like to express my thanks," You kept a straight face as best as possible, resisting the urge to punch him in the face.

He raised his hand to your face as if to say stop with his head held too high, "I don't need thanks from a pitiful creature who can't save themselves from something as simple as that!" He then smirked again, "Though, I shall kindly accept it. Be grateful."

"Uh, sure..."

"Now then! [Name], [Name] [Last Name]-!"