✙ Chapter 6 ✙

Thanks to Kity123 for that amazing banner! ------------------------>

~Lissa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Milk, spinach, Pepsi, chicken - wait, is that chicken? And, about thirty more pounds of meat in these bottom drawers," I said, standing at the refrigerator with a hungry stomach. I looked over my shoulder, seeing an uncaring Ryker leaning against the granite counter, roaming through his cell phone. His dark hair was spiky and slick with fancy gel. He was dressed in a pair of black sweatpants that barely clung to his waist and a grey t-shirt, one that hinted at his sculpted abdomen underneath. Men kept walking in and out of the kitchen, carrying boxes through a particular door on the other side of the kitchen. "Uh, hello? Are you listening?"

He looked up at me. "Grocery shopping isn't at the top of my priority list." His emerald eyes flickered towards the inside of the refrigerator, before he waved his hand. "Have a Pepsi and some leftover chicken."

"It's breakfast."

"Who eats breakfast?" he shot back, his eyebrows raising. I pinched my lips together, realizing I wasn't going to get anywhere with him. Reluctantly, I closed the refrigerator and leaned against the metal door, folding my arms across my chest. Ryker was still roaming through his phone, typing furiously at his keyboard at one moment. This sucks, I thought, exhaling loudly. Ugh, I'm hungry. I want pancakes. "This is ridiculous - he won't answer my calls nor will he respond to my emails. I guarantee he sees them. . ."

"Who?"

"My brother," he answered, quietly. "Caine is acting like a fool; somebody needs to talk him out of whatever he plans on doing with that girl, whether it's keeping her locked up or returning her." He shoved his phone into his pocket with a sigh. "His first mistake was taking her away, but his second mistake was thinking he could fix her. When a werewolf's eyes are red, they're long gone - you can't bring them back without getting yourself killed."

"You think he wants to fix her?" I asked, shaking my head. "Is that even possible?"

"It's the only reason why he hasn't killed her," he responded, glancing up at the ceiling. "And, not that I know of - maybe he has something up his sleeve." He rubbed his jaw, thinking for a moment. "I mean, it's possible for a witch to take the power from the girl, but it'd be very painful. The witch would have to basically rip a piece of her out - the piece that gives her the power that comes with the red-eyes. With this, those urges would leave, along with inner wolf. But, no witch is capable of that kind of power, meaning they'd have to draw from somebody very powerful. "

"Caine."

He gritted his teeth together. "It could kill him - he'd really risk his life for this one girl? What is so special about her? His mate died years ago. . ."

"He cares about someone," I said, frowning. "So what? It shows he has a heart; there needs to be more werewolves like him." Daniel appeared in my head; all of those times he teased and taunted me. He didn't care for anybody, but himself. He didn't care for any of his pack members, including my brother. They were just his followers who were there to fight against those who dared to speak his name. Ryker pinched his lips together and stared at me for a long moment, some unknown emotion swarming in his emerald eyes.

"But, caring for a girl that isn't here anymore," he told him, shaking his head. "A girl that can't be saved - he needs to let go."

"No, he doesn't," I argued, frustrated. "Nobody should give up on those they care about, Ryker. He wants to help this girl, so why can't you accept that? If he wants to risk his life, that's his decision." I stepped forward as he opened his mouth to say something back.