✙ Chapter 15 ✙

Thanks for reading! Sorry for mistakes!

~Lissa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We need to be cautious," Ethen said, glancing over his shoulder at Nora who was curled into Drew's side, smiling. Others were gathered around them, laughing at old times. I was in one of the corners with Ryker and his brothers, fidgeting with the tips of my fingers. Calmly, Ryker had his arm wrapped around my waist, almost as if he was afraid I was going to suddenly disappear. Caine stood on my other side, rubbing his jaw in thought. The two of us hadn't exchanged many words, considering he was mostly occupied with caring for Nora. And, Ethen stood in front of me, a serious expression on his face. "We took away the red-eye part of her and to be honest, I'm not sure how that leaves her."

"Is she a werewolf?" I blurted, curiously.

"I don't have an answer for that," Ethen responded, shaking his head. "I've been testing her and she's showing qualities of a human. Her skin isn't hot like ours and she isn't capable of healing fast. But, the blood coursing through her veins is still werewolf." He scratched his head, looking towards Nora once again. "I have no idea what we're dealing with right now. I mean, it isn't possible for hybrids to exist - either your human or werewolf. A human body can't handle both, especially in the state she's in."

Caine frowned. "Maybe it has something to do with our dark magic? Maybe the power is affecting her?"

"Is she a threat?" Ryker asked, raising an eyebrow.

Caine growled. "What if she is? Will you kill her?"

"Yes."

Ethen held up his hands. "Ryker, take a deep breath. You aren't killing the girl, understand? The bond Caine and Nora share is strong; we are in the dark about it. If one dies, we don't know what will happen to the other." Ryker pinched his lips together and I nudged his shoulder, catching his attention. I narrowed my eyes and shook my head, receiving a look of displeasure in response. Ethen turned towards Caine who was shooting daggers at Ryker. "I understand you care for the girl, but I think it's best if we disappear again. Other matters have risen, brother."

"By other matters, you mean the humans," Caine said, rolling his eyes. "I'm aware of their knowledge about our kind, but they aren't a threat to us."

Ryker huffed. "I swear, you're the stupidest of us all." Caine snarled at him, causing a few pairs of eyes to look at him. Ethen exhaled loudly in frustration, before giving his brother a warning look. "I'm just saying - first, he bonds himself to a human and next, he isn't considering the threat that has arrived upon us. You wonder why nobody has ever laid a finger on me; it's because I don't underestimate my enemies." Removing his arm from my waist, he jerked his finger at his brother. "You're being careless, brother. And, it's going to get you killed."

Caine scowled. "I'm not being careless."

Ethen cleared his throat. "Enough! Look, I think it's best if we disappear again until things have calmed down." He looked directly at Caine, shrugging. "It's your decision if you want to leave the girl behind or not. Keep in mind that your lives may be tied."

"No, we can't leave," Caine argued, moving closer. "We were raised to fight and now here we are, deciding to run - to hide from our enemies. If father was here, he would've called us 'cowards'." Ryker froze next to me for a long moment and the three of them exchanged looks. Several thoughts were running through my head as I was overwhelmed with curiosity. "We can't abandon our own kind; they need us." Caine gestured towards Drew's pack behind him, shaking his head. "These people need us and I'm not leaving them, understand? You two can leave, but I'm tired of hiding."