</3 Basement

* Chris' Pov * (2 Months Later)

"It's not much," i murmured as I led Hunter through the front door. He stumbled behind, head dropping down and arms sagging. He hadn't said much. Actually, he hadn't said much in the past 2 months since he moved into the adoption agency. He was scared of the workers, the man in particular. He slept in the corner of the room, but I was trying to get him out of that habit. I'd put his bed in the corner, hopefully that would help.

It took 2 months to legally adopt Hunter. Other families had been interested, but Hunter physically attacked them when they tried to talk to him. I had no idea why he was more comfortable around me, I just hoped it stayed like that.

Dropping down a few bags, I turned round to face Hunter. "What's wrong? You feeling ok?"

He nodded, something he rarely did. He hardly ever replied, I was just thankful he did this time cause he didn't look too well. He was more pale, but I guess it was just nerves, right?

"Sure?"

He nodded again.

Sighing, I shrugged it off. "Alright. Just go down lie down on the couch, I'll make us some dinner,"

***

Hunter looked at the food in front of him. He kinda gave it the evils, like he'd never seen it before. But then, he probably hadn't.

"It's pizza," I told him. "Can you say that? Pizza,"

He scrunched his face up. "Peta,"

I couldn't help but laugh a little. It was heartbreaking, but Hunter was just undoubtedly adorable. He'd been inproving in his speech though. He could speak a lot better, but then he hardly ever used his voice. He was shy, scared. Probably thought if he spoke then I'd beat him to death.

I wouldn't though. Never.

"Close enough," I chuckled. "Are you sure you're feeling ok?"

He nodded, but I knew it was a lie. His skin was more pale, eyes were red and tired. He looked like he was going to pass out at any moment. So I sighed, pushed his untouched plate of food away and stood up.

"Come on," I gently pulled him up by his arms and held him close to me. "You're tired, bed time."

As I lifted him, he stumbled into my chest so instead of risking him falling down, I scooped him up in my arms. He whimpered a little bit, feeling my hands graze over his body. But he didn't struggle, he took a few breaths and closed his eyes which made me feel a small accomplishment. Usually he'd struggle and scream and cry if anyone touched him, now he calmed himself down. In a few more months, maybe he'd talk to me normally.

Carrying Hunter up the stairs, I opened his bedroom door. There was nothing there really. A bed, and that was it. I didn't really know what to do. There was a lamp near his bed, I knew he got scared. I mean, I wanted to stay with him but I couldn't let him get completely dependant on me. Then he'd never be able to recover.

"God it's cold in here," I mumbled as I carried Hunter over to the bed. Pulling the blankets down, I lay him against the mattress as gently as I could. Then pushed his head back to the pillow and covered him up with the blankets. He looked really cute, just like a little innocent kid. Well, he was innocent. He didn't deserve anything he'd gone through.

"Want the lamp on?" I offered, which he shook his head to. "Door open?" He shook his head again and I sighed. I didn't want to leave him, I wanted to stay and hold him, make sure he was alright through the night. But I couldn't. I couldn't let him become dependant on me. That would just hurt him more.