Misunderstood <3

{ Picture of Hunter in the side! But just imagine him 3 years younger! )

.

"Daddy! I want my Daddy! No! Want Daddy! I want my Daddy!"

I struggled to hold Hunter as he thrashed around in bed. He'd slept in my bed for the past week, and each night he woke up with a scream. I'd decided that until he could sleep without the nightmares, he was staying with me. Some nights I didn't even bother trying to get to sleep. I'd just be woken hours later to a screaming and crying Hunter. Sometimes it was just easier to hold him until he woke, just to calm him down as quick as possible. I wanted him to have closure. To feel safe. Protected. Otherwise I wasn't doing my job properly.

"Daddy!"

"Hunter, it's ok!" I assured him, holding his waist. "It's ok, you don't need your Dad. You really don't need you Dad. You don't need him. You've got me, I'm here. Chris is here, you're safe."

"Daddy," he whimpered. "Want Daddy!"

He thrashed around in my arms, desperatley struggling to get away from me. He kicked at my legs, scratched at my arms. And as his head threw back in my face, my arms released him and I fell back, clutching my mouth. I spat out blood into my hands and took in a deep breath. Usually I'd be angry, want to fight back, but I couldn't.

This was a terrified 13 year old boy. I could never hurt him.

"Hunter," I reached forwards but he jumped off the bed and crawled down to the floor. Moving towards him, I held my arms out but he didn't run into them. Instead he slid away, not meeting my eyes. He was so fragile, so innocent and scared. All I wanted to do was hug him. Needed to hold him and let him feel safe.

"FUCK OFF!" He screamed as I wrapped my arms around his waist. i was going to pull him back onto the bed but he was struggling too hard so I had no option but to use force to hold him to the floor. Turning him over onto his back, I stared into his eyes.

"Look at me Hunter," I said calmly. "Look at me. What's my name?"

"Fuck off!"

"What's my name Hunter?"

He slowly looked into my eyes and whimpered. "Chris?"

"That's right," i murmured. "I'm Chris. And you're safe with me, aren't you? Do you feel safe?"

He shook his head, trying to move his hands. "Want Daddy,"

"Hunter," I sighed and pulled him up onto my lap. Like in the basement, he wrapped his legs around my waist and his arms around my neck. "Do you feel safe now?"

He shook his head again.

I mentally groaned. I didn't know what the fuck to do.

***

Hunter held himself into my chest as I opened the front door. It was cold, so I'd given him one of my shirts. He wore that along with his boxers, and he looked adorable. The shirt was my old school football one, and it was absolutley huge which meant it was even bigger on Hunter.

"Do you wanna give him the money, Hunter?"

Hunter took the 10 dollar bill out of my hand and then slowly turned towards the man. He took a few small steps, and then held his arm out. He hid his face down as the man took the money. And as soon as it fell from his hand, Hunter ran back inbetween my arms.

"He's shy," I explained.

The man shurgged. "It's alright. Enjoy your pizza,"

"Thanks,"