<3 Kat

{ The way that Kat&Hunter meet in this story is different from how they met in LLAD }

.

* 4 Months Later *

"Chris?"

I rolled over on the couch, turning to face Hunter. His eyes were red, he'd been crying. He hadn't been crying as much lately. He'd even been sleeping in his own bed for 2 months now. I was so proud of him, it made me happy to see that he was improving. But now here he was, clutching at my shirt with red eyes, staring down at the mattress as I sat up.

"What's wrong, kiddo? Did you have a bad dream?"

He nodded and held himself close to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and burried his face in my shoulder. I rubbed his back soothingly, telling him that he was ok and that he was safe, that nobody could ever hurt him.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No," he whimpered into my shirt.

"Well what do you wanna do then? Do you wanna go back to bed?" It was only 6pm and Lisa was coming round with her daughter soon, but Hunter hadn't been feeling too good. "Do you wanna stay here? Do you want-"

"I want Dad,"

I bit my lip. "Why would you say that?"

He shrugged. "I want Dad,"

"No you don't Hunter," I sighed. "Come on kid, we already went through this. Your Dad isn't good for you. He hurt you. He's dangerous. You're safe here with me. You don't need that man,"

"But-"

"No buts," I shook my head and cupped his chin. "He's not good for you. You're with me now. You're safe, you're getting better, you're-"

"You're not my Dad!"

***

The doorbell rang and I pulled myself up off the couch. Hunter hadn't moved and neither had I. We'd just sat in silence ever since he said I wasn't his Dad. Of course I knew I wasn't his Dad and I wasn't even trying to be. I was just trying to show him how life should be, how parents, adoptive or not, should treat their children. I would never try to be his Dad. His experiance of a father son relationship wasn't exactly the best.

"Stay there," I said to Hunter as I stood up.

"No,"

"Hunter," I sighed. "Stay there,"

"No!"

"Kid you have to do as I say,"

"No I don't!"

"Yes you do,"

"But you're not my Dad!"

"Stop saying that!" I hissed and turned away from him. Storming over to the door, I took in a few deep breaths before forcing a fake smile and opening it. Lisa stood before me with a young girl at her side, her daughter Kat. This was going to be a good first impression. I was pissed, Hunter was pissed, Lisa was obviously going to sense that I was pissed and become worried, Kat would be scared of Hunter because he was pissed.

"Hi Lisa," I smiled and leaned forwards to kiss her cheek.

"Hi," she blushed and then gestured to her daughter. "This is Kat. She's been dying to meet you and Hunter for ages,"

"Well it's nice to meet you," I said quietly. "How are you?"

"Good," Kat giggled. "Can I see your son?"

"Yeah," I smiled and opened the door for them. "He's not in the best of moods, so don't be upset if he doesn't wanna talk,"

"Is he upset?"