18. Essylt

Cassie's vision blurred from darkness to blinding light. She was back in her room in The Rosebud suite, Peros stood over her with a smile. "You're awake," he said relief apparent in his soft voice. He sat on the end of her bed as his smile faded.

"What happened?" She asked, her voice cracked as if she hadn't spoken in years.

"You were asleep for a two days," Peros explained, "despite everything, Evander said that your memories of what happened would be complete."

Cassie sat up in bed and tried to recall what had happened before her vision went dark. To her surprise she remembered everything clearly.

She had knocked Essylt down beside Peros after she cut him with her sword. Her head began to ache and faint words bubbled to the surface of her memory.

"Save him," Essylt whispered. "I'm so sorry." Silent tears fell from her glittering eyes.

"I don't know how." Cassie sputtered.

Essylt's face contorted in pain and Cassie's hands were moved to rest below their collarbones. "Channel through. Quickly!" Essylt began to cough and Cassie understood what was being asked of her. Words from 'The Purest Power' came to her and she set to work.

Her blood boiled, her skin burned and her head pounded but she continued, pulling Essylt's magic and putting it into the still body of Peros. He was still alive, she could feel life under her hand but he was weak, the slash across his chest dripped purple blood and black tar.

"I'm sorry," Cassie sobbed looking at Essylt whose already pale coloring was fading even more.

"I'm sorry" Essylt closed her eyes, a bright biting cold filled Cassie and she ground her teeth. This was it. She felt it fill her body, her chest was tight threatening to explode. She pushed the light to Peros and he jolted awake.

Cassie was sweating, and cold. She looked over at Essylt, her body lay like an empty shell, an abandoned chrysalis.

"Did I..." Cassie gasped. "I didn't, did I?" She lay back in her bed, her eyes wide with shock. Peros sighed.

"Yeah. She's gone." Peros said, his voice soft.

"Congratulations! You've eliminated your first enemy!" The jovial voice filled the room, sending Cassie further into shock.

"I don't want to be congratulated." She murmured.

"You showed great strength, and you surprised me," Evander said. His smile was still set and unchanging on his face, "There is still a lot I'd like to tell you, and a lot you need to know." He was waiting patiently in the doorway, but Cassie could vaguely pick on the shimmering energy around him that wouldn't keep still. She could see energy around Peros as his gaze stayed fixed on his hands.

"Can we speak in a moment? I just woke up and I..." Cassie said struggling to find legitimate excuses to stay to talk to Peros. She hadn't fully formed her opinion of Evander yet.

"Yes, of course. You've been through a lot, I will speak to you tomorrow. There is much I need to tell you," Evander said as he respectfully backed out of the room, closing the door in front of him.

Cassie turned to Peros, his eyes finally met hers and while she opened her mouth to speak she was dumbfounded.

"I've waited for you since..." He paused. They sat in silence for a few minutes.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"I know." He replied.

"This is the underworld isn't it? When people die they come here right?" Cassie asked.