Hamburr: Final Moments

The sun slowly rises over New York City, and Alexander Hamilton wonders if it'll be the last time he sees the sun. Across from him, Aaron Burr has been waiting for one hour or so for Hamilton to show up. He already has a pistol ready, polishing it with care. Alexander has never seen such a look on his face, of anger and passion and hate. He winces and looks away, getting his pistol from his second. The sky is a swirled canvas of oranges and pinks, white dark blues and purples being way at the top of the sky. Alex looked straight up, admiring the colors. It might be the last time he sees the sky.

His stomach felt sick, and he could almost feel something coming up the back of his throat. It hurt in a way, like an emotional aching at the bottom. Alex took one last at the city across the river. His beautiful New York City, oh God he prayed that he would see it again. Maybe even get to see Eliza again.

"Are you ready?" Aaron called to him. Alex nodded a little, messing with the trigger on his gun. This was the same gun that Philip had used that day. The same gun that he had died while holding, his hands shaking and yet still smiling reassuringly to his mother and father. Alexander shuddered at the memory, and the way Eliza shut him out afterwards. He sniffled and looked at Aaron. The politician glared back, that same hate still flowing through his eyes and veins.

Alexander watched the seconds go and try to sort out things. He prayed they would be. There wasn't a single bone in Alexander's body that wanted to aim that gun at Aaron, his first friend, his enemy, his past l... Alexander loaded the gun as the seconds walked back to their firsts, shaking their heads. Alex nodded, adjusting his coat and walking ten paces.

He was shaking, oh God he was shaking. Aaron wouldn't kill him, right? He wouldn't do that to him. Why would he? Aaron would never win any other political event if he killed the treasurer of the states. It wasn't his interest to kill him. Alex took a deep breath, realizing that he was going to be fine. He smiled a little, adjusting his glasses. Oh god, even with the glasses on his shot was going to be so blurry. But he didn't really wanna shoot Aaron, so it didn't really matter anyway.

Aaron Burr aimed his gun right at Alexander, and pulled the trigger after the countdown. He heard a gasp, and honestly he wasn't sure if it was his own or Alexander's. There was a silence in the thin air, unsettling and horrific. Aaron looked at Alex in fear, his eyes wide and his hands starting to shake. Did he hit him? Is he dead? Is the Alexander Hamilton dead by his own hand? No... No... Aaron dropped his gun and took a step back. The sight of Alexander trembling, his gun aimed at the sky, a symbol of truce and apologies and forgiveness. Oh god, Aaron felt like he was going to be sick.

"You missed," Aaron's second hissed. Alexander lowered his gun and fixed his glasses.

Alex repeated the second, "You missed." Then he slowly turned to his own second, putting the pistol away in the box. He had to get home to his empty house, cuddling with a pillow and pretending it was somebody that still loved him, at least a little bit. Alexander couldn't cry here, not in front of Aaron. What would the man tell people? It would be embarrassing for him.

That cheating bastard cried after the duel, probably sad that he didn't die, that freak.

Alexander could see the headlines now.

Aaron Burr tries to shoot treasurer, Alexander Hamilton, in a duel! He misses and the other breaks down in tears because of it!

They would both be ruined.

As Alexander pays the doctor and goes to his boat, he watches Aaron, eyes glaring at the ground and fists clenched. Maybe he did want to kill Alexander Hamilton, the man who always progressed further than he did. The thought made Alex shudder. His first friend when he came to America. The man that he had heard so much about, and looked up to, and admired. Now the man that was just an enemy to Alexander. He teared up, turning away from Aaron and getting in the boat. They rowed back across the Hudson. It would be a one hour boat ride or so, maybe an hour and a half.