Chapter Eight - Scores

In Tyler and Craig's quarters, six people were sprawled across the couches, avidly waiting the results of their assessments. The four were Evan, Jonathan, Tyler, Craig, and their mentors,  Blake Irving and Diana Sue. Evan was able to let his nerves show in the safety of the private room. Everyone else was just as nervous as he was. The assessments finished hours ago, they were eagerly waiting for the television to flash on and for the announcers to appear.

"What are the odds that Evan will get the biggest score?" Tyler wagered, smiling at Evan. Evan scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Don't be dumb, you'll get the highest score. Everyone here agrees with me, Tyler," Evan retailed.

"Actually, I gotta say I agree with you Evan. Only because you're a piece of shit," Jon snickered. Evan whacked his arm, secretly smiling on the inside.

"Hate to be a mood buster, but what if Ryan gets the top score?" Craig piped up. The room went silent.

"Then we crush him, all of us," Tyler said, slamming his fist into his open palm. Jon grinned wickedly and tipped his glass, downing the water.

The television flashed on, and the familiar faces of the presenters were front and centre. Everyone's heads snapped back to the screen. Diana patted Tyler's shoulder, a comforting gesture that she thinks he'll do well. She reached over and did the same to Craig.

"Good evening, Panem. Our tributes fought hard for the top spot today, a chance to become the competition's favourites. The results of their assessments are out of twelve, and here they are," the announcer revealed. The screen flashed to a picture of Evan, the professional photos that were taken on the day they arrived right after the grooming.

A deep, automated voice boomed, "District 1, Evan Fong, 10." Evan's eyes shone with pride, happiness, and relief. Ten was a top score, not many people will beat that. The average is around six or seven. Evan could well become a favourite off of this.

"Amazing, Evan, told you that you had nothing to worry about, you're a beefcake," Tyler smirked, posing and flexing his muscles in a way to imitate Evan. Evan blushed with humbleness.

"I can't wait to see your scores, you'll all do just as well as me no doubt," Evan shot back, trying to not appear cocky in front of his allies. While they were talking, pictures of Evan in the training room bounced around the screen. Then Jonathan's beaming, beautiful face appeared on the screen.

"District 1, Jonathan Smith, 8." The voice disappeared and Evan threw his arms around Jon's shoulders. He didn't hesitate to congratulate his friend, he deserved it after the hard work he's put in over the past week. Evan couldn't pin why...but he felt so natural in Jonathan's arms. Like he was made to be there.

"Uh, Evan?" Jon coughed out. Evan shot off his friend, realising his hug may have gone on a fraction too long.

"I'm happy for you bud, we've just got to wait for Tyler and Craig's results, then we'll be crowned the alliance to watch," Evan announced, mentors and tributes alike nodding in agreement.

***

Tyler had no right to be jealous. He was happy for his new friend, he worked hard and earned that high score. Yet Tyler was still nervous he wouldn't meet the standards set by Evan. Tyler's score hasn't been released yet, the District 2 results were being announced.

"District 2, Anthony Chilled, 6," the announcer read. The pictures of Anthony changed to pictures of the other District 2 tributes, Steven Ze. Tyler silently thought that Anthony did better than expected. He seemed to fumble a lot with his movements, and be sloppy with his attacks. He was generally an awkward person that would probably only kill someone by accident.