Chapter Nine - Interviews

TW: sexual assault at the end of the chapter, and yes the plot point does make a reappearance later in the fic. This is a long update :)

The bedazzling lights illuminated the stage, the interviewer standing and bowing in the middle as a fanfare played and the audience clapped. Felix was his name, he was famous enough to not have a last name to back up the first.

"Hello Panem!" Felix shouted, the crowd roared back. "Yes, thank you. Tonight is the night you've all been waiting for! Over the past week we've watched our tributes train for the Hunger Games, and here's our chance to get to known them on a personal level. You know the drill, we'll bring out a tribute from each district, one at a time. Now...let's give it up for our lucky first tribute from District 1, Mr. Evan Fong!" Felix announced, swinging an arm out to side stage, gesturing for Evan to join him.

Evan made his way out in front of the audience. He was wearing a tight, black suit with his hair styled up in a faux do. He smiled coyly, his lips staying shut. Felix gestured for Evan to take the seat next to him. Evan leaned back into the chair, resting one ankle on the knee of his other leg. He was gripping each arm of the couch tightly, but the cameras don't pick it up.

"So Evan, how are you feeling? You're in the top three favourites and the games are tomorrow," Felix asked. Evan rubbed the nape of his neck. He was feeling pretty proud, but his mentor said that if he played up his humbleness, he'd win more fans.

"Uh...I don't think it's a big deal. Anything can happen in the arena. I just need to keep my head up and hope for the best," Evan smiled.

"And your allies? I hear you've already formed pretty close bonds with Craig and Tyler from District 3, and you've known Jon your whole life?" Felix asked.

"Yeah, the three of them are really great mates, and Jon and I have been friends as long as I can remember," Evan said. The audience cooed.

"I think we have a few instances of childhood friends in the games this year, I have to admit it's quite unlucky. Best of luck, Mr Fong," Felix replied. Evan stood up and bowed to the audience before leaving the stage.

"Up next we have Mr. Jonathan Smith from District 1," Felix exclaimed. Jon followed the introduction, clad in a deep blue suit with a matching bow tie.

"Welcome, Jon. Now, I've come to an understanding that you and Mr Fong are childhood friends, are you not?" Felix asked, side-eyeing the audience. Jon sighed and nodded, of course they wanted to ask Jon about Evan, but not vice versa.

"Yes, we are. Evan and I have always had...a connection, I know he's too oblivious to understand this, and probably won't be watching this at the moment, but I think the connection was more strongly felt on my side," Jon confessed. Felix opened his mouth in shock and awe, some members of the audience gasped and others cooed. Homosexuality wasn't frowned upon in the capitol, so the audience didn't feel anger towards Jon, just sorrow.

"Oh my, and now fate has brought you two together in the games, the best of luck to the both of you. You've taken the capitol by storm. Everyone, a round of applause for Jonathan Smith of District 1!" Felix shouted, taking Jon's hand, forcing him to stand and bow to the crowd. Jon smiled and waved as he walked off.

"Up next we have Anthony Chilled from District 2, welcome Anthony," Felix announced, sitting back down. Anthony jogged out and waved to the crowd, stunned at their light applause. Evan and Jon got cheering and whooping when they walked out, why didn't he?

"Tell me, Anthony, are you aware that your entire district is looking down on you? You volunteered, but you have no survival skills, why would you condemn yourself like that?"