CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I had one more day to avoid Cameron, after that, I knew I would see him in class. Maybe I could throw up and go to the office for a whole period. Who was I kidding, English is my favourite subject, and I'm not missing it because of him. I can't avoid him forever.

I sat in the back of most of my classes and drew little figurines of Andrew and me, holding hands and sitting in a booth at the Private Lounge. I was a little obsessed, maybe more than a little. You can't blame me, I've had how many years to dream of this moment.

I tried to look for him at lunch but I couldn't see Andrew at his normal table in the middle of the cafeteria.

"Did you hear me?" Rosie says. "They are coming over here!"

"Who, what?"

"Max and Cameron."

My heart dropped and my face went so pale. If he saw me, not only would I be so embarrassed, he would know something was up. Start asking questions.

"What do I do? Do I run?"

She shrugged. "Hide," she didn't seem too sure it would work.

"I did the only logical thing and ran in the opposite direction of the quad and to the library. My other home.

I walked straight to the fantasy section, I needed to get away from this world, this world is cruel enough, and it put me and Cameron in the same universe.

Even though all the pranks had stopped, I missed them. Deep, deep down a very small part of me misses all the fun, the planning and organising. But right now I wish none of it happened. I wish I never met Cameron, never accidently broke his arm, got those staples in the ceiling, a locker next to him and never cried in front of him the other day.

I was overhearing mum watch the television during the holidays, watching that show about the girls who dance and there dramatic mothers. She loves that kind of TV. The woman kept on saying to save your tears for the pillows.

Although I didn't cry on stage, I might as well have. He has probably gone around the whole school and told every student about me, when Cameron starts saying things, people listen. However one thing I haven't heard him talk about in a while is the drumsticks, he must have stopped looking for the other one.

All the posters were taken down and I haven't seen any new ones up. Surely he is just printing some new ones. A bigger reward.

"Hey," the voice startles me as I'm looking through the young adult fantasy. "Rosie told me you'd be here."

'Ugh why Rosie' I groan to myself. I turn around with a book covering my face and walk straight passed him.

"Listen," he follows me and I walk down a different isle. "I'm sorry if I upset you."

Was he seriously bringing this up now? We are in a library. If he doesn't want me to get angry he has another thing coming.

"Listen mister," I throw my book into a cart, turn and point my finger at him. "We are not doing this here." I wasn't embarrassed or nervous or anxious anymore, I was angry now.

He smiled in return. "At least you're looking in my direction." I stop and turn back around to pick up the book I put down

"Oh come on. Listen," I keep walking around the isles of pages, I don't face him but my ears perk up to hear what he has to say.

"I didn't mean to make you upset," he lowers his voice. "I didn't think you'd act like that."

"Like what," I turn buoyantly, pretending not to know what he is talking about.

His eyebrows furrow together, shaking him head. "Like nothing," he says quieter.

My back tingled. "Listen. You caught me at a weak..."

The school lunch bell rang between us but my kept my face optimistic, "It's fine."

We walked our separate ways and that afternoon I was going to obsess over Andrew and not over Cameron.

I was quite happy with the outcome of the library surprise visit, I'm not as afraid to run into him as I was, and now I can put on a 'resting-bitch face' and be done.

I went straight home and kept re-reading Andrew and my conversation in messages. 'How does the Private Lounge sound' isn't he dreamy!

One more day I would be sitting across from him, staring into his eyes. I knew that it wouldn't be a dress up formal dinner, it's not like it was our 7th date. It was just a casual dinner, but that wouldn't stop me from planning out my outfit now instead of tomorrow afternoon just before I left.

I chose this long blue dress, and hung it up on a hanger. It wouldn't be too formal, but hopefully I could make him do a double take.

...

I sat in the front row for English compared to the back of all the other classes, knowing that Cameron and his buddies sit at the back. I made eye contact and didn't follow through with anything after, I was half expecting him to come up and sit next to me or something.

Be extra annoying like he always is, childishly setting each other off, but I can't complain, I do it too.

We sat and read and wrote practice essays, I didn't once think about Andrew or Cameron, but when I left class he smiled at me. A smirk more than a smile, he knew something I didn't.

But I knew things that he didn't know, number one, I own one of Freddie Blac's drumsticks and, number two, I was going to steal his.