Don't Look Back

The door to our prison flings open violently, the noise startling me alert. I sit up straighter, feeling vulnerable at my lack of sight. The noise is out of the daily schedule I've become accustomed too: we never get visitors to the cells this late. Something is wrong.

"Pietro, what's happening?" I ask quickly, heart hammering against my rib cage, desperately reaching for something safe.

"It is ok, just-"

"Quiet." A male voice sharply interjects Pietro.

I bristle slightly, the metal cuffs digging into my wrists as i ball my hands to fists. Multiple pairs of heavy footsteps echo across the room. Silence falls thick and the tension clutches my heart in a stifling grip. I force myself to breathe, as my breaths become shallow. The blindfold concealing my vision taunts me.

"You," the unknown voice barks again "Get the Hydra girl."

Protests of my friends burst forward, a flood of noise from all directions. Realization hits me that the unknown man means me.

"Silence."

I hear the soft swish of my cell door opening, the footfalls closer, the rattling movement of my handcuffs being unlocked. Once the metal is removed I roll my wrists to remove the stiffness that has grown. They don't remove my blindfold. Hands wrap around my forearms, pulling me harshly up. Their fingers dig into my skin, sure to form bruises. Stumbling, I am pushed to walk forward, the hand digging into my shoulder to guide me.

"I know how to walk, thanks." I mutter bitterly, my mind thinking quickly but drowned out by the blood rushing loudly in my ears.

The response is a painful shove on my shoulder, causing me to whimper unconsciously.

"Hey! What do you think you-"

A gun cocking silences Pietro's shout. Cool metal presses between my shoulder blades, my body tensing.

"That's enough, agent." The first unknown voice orders, clearly the leader of the group. "Lower your weapon, she is no current threat."

Wow, rude.

I don't dare to try my powers, not that I have felt their presence since I woke up in the prison. But that is a problem for another time.

"Sheridan, Katie." The man reads aloud "Abilities of mind control, manipulation and minor energy creation. Genetically modified. Daughter of HYDRA's chief scientist, Sister to HYDRA agent Harry Sheridan-"

"Stop." I mutter, twisting my fingers. "What do you want?"

"Let's cut to the chase, Princess. Where is Harry Sheridan?"

My stomach drops, as the question lingers. No one speaks. I open my mouth to reply, but my words abandon me. After I lick my lips, I try again.

"I don't understand, he was at the Avengers facility-"

Something collides with my cheek, sending my head snapping to the right as I stagger back into the chest of an agent behind me. Pietro shouts again, this time joined by Sam. I gasp, touching my cheek gingerly, cursing the lack of sight  once more.

"Don't play games, HYDRA scum!"

"I don't know," I growl "I don't know anything!"