Chapter 44

Allie nods slowly into my chest and sniffs, her form still shaking.
"I'm sorry, baby," I whisper into her hair. I really am sorry for her, and I understand why she's upset. Her mom was just killed in front of her after all. But what else could I have done? If I didn't  take action, Lucy would have, and Allie would be dead right now. I couldn't have that.

"I'm sorry she's gone," I murmur once more.

Allie freezes momentarily and lifts her head to me. "What?"

I repeat myself, speaking slower this time.

"No, Kaden," my mate says, lifting her her pale hand to touch my cheek. "I'm not upset with you, I understand why you did what you did. And besides, she wasn't much of a mom to me anyway,"

Allie looks up at me with so much adoration and love in her eyes that I almost breakdown in tears right this second.

But instead, I lean my head down into the crook of her neck, breathing in her familiar vanilla and mint scent that calms me and my wolf right away.

I wrap my arms around her frame tightly, holding on to her with every fiber of strength I have. I've come so close to losing her, so many times, but I'm determined to make this one the last. I won't let myself lose her, ever. I need her.

As a hold my mate, she shifts slightly under my weight. "Um, Kaden,"

I lift my head and lean away from her, my face slightly flushed. I guess I'm kind of heavy.

"Sorry," I mumble.

She laughs softly, and I'm sure that it's my favorite sound in the world. "No, it's fine. Its just..." She trails off, looking behind her. "Your friends,"

If possible, my face flushes even more. "Oh."

The trio at the door all laugh softly at me, and I shake my head in embarasment, walking back over to my mate.

"Thank you all for coming," I say to them.

They nod in acknowledgement.

"Of course, Kaden," Jack says.

"We left as soon as Luna called us," John continues. "I could tell you needed us,"

Allie turns her head away from me and looks at my Beta. "You know you can call me Allie, John," she says.

John nods, though he seems to be uncomfortable with the idea. I have to stifile my laugh.

"Are we ready to get back?" I ask the group. They nod. "Good. Allen, take care of that," I tell my tracker. "And Jack, John, meet me in my office when we get back. We have some things to discuss with my mate."

~

I lean back in my chair as Allie shirts closer to me. We've both just explained all that happened with Lucy, and we're waiting for their reaction.

"Are you being serious?" John asks, his face slightly pale.

I nod. "A hundred percent. I wouldn't make something like this up,"

"What are we supposed to do then?" asks Jack.

I shrug. "My family has had Alpha power for centuries. But since the power is technically Allie's, I guess its up to her to decide."

We all three turn our heads to my mate. She looks at us wide-eyed.

"I don't want to be Alpha," she informs us. "I think that Kaden does a good enough job, as well as you both as Beta and Delta. There's no need to change anything about that,"

My friends nod, but it's not good enough for me. She has to get something out of this whole thing.

"Well, what will you do then, baby?" I ask gently.

She smiles. "I wasn't made to be Alpha. But I think I'd make a pretty good Luna."

~

After going over new pack protection rules and planning Allie's Luna ceremony, Jack and John go home, leaving just me and Allie in my house.

"I should probably call my dad and let him know about what happened. I mean, he might know already, but I still would like to talk to him," Allie tells me.
I nod and and lead her to my room so she can use my phone. She sits in my lap as she talks to him, and out of respect for her privacy, I don't pay attention to what she says. Instead, I twirl pieces of her hair between my fingers, marveling at how soft it is.

"Okay, Dad. I love you, too. Bye." Allie ends the call and lays the phone back on my nightstand.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

She nods, leaning her head on my shoulder. "He took everything pretty well, I guess. I mean, she was his mate, but I don't think they we're as close as they wanted everyone to think. He didn't sound very upset,"

I nod. "I understand. Do I need to take you home?"

She shakes her head, clinging on to my figure. "No, I don't want to leave,"

I sigh, kissing the top of her head. "I don't want you to leave either. But I think your Dad might need you," Not that I don't, I silently add.

"He said I'm fine to stay with you tonight," Allie murmurs, burying her head in my shoulder. "Is that okay, with you?"

I hold her tighter. "Of course it is, baby. I'll always want you with me,"

~

I wake up the next morning to light streaming through my window. I stretch out, or try to, before my arm hits something hard.

"Uhhh," Allie groans from beside me, reaching her arms out. She gets hold of my arm and pulls me closer to her, smiling in her sleep.

I smile at the sight of her. This girl was made for me. The only one I'll ever need in my life. What did I do to ever deserve her? Sure, we've been through a lot, more than I could have thought possible, but despite it all, she's still here. And if she hasn't left by now, I don't think she ever will.

I lean down and kiss her pale forehead. She sighs contentedly in her sleep.

"I love you, Allie," I whisper softly to my mate, pulling her closer to me. She snuggles into my side, and all I can think of is how much I love her. My mate, my baby girl.

****

Its done!! It feels like forever since I've started this, but I still can't believe it's all over. I hope that you've enjoyed this story as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

Please look out for the Epilogue coming out soon, possibly tomorrow. I love each and every one of you all. :))